Schutzhund Club/Trainers in El Paso, TX/Las Cruces, NM area? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to JustDSM Send a message via MSN to JustDSM Send a message via Yahoo to JustDSM
Schutzhund Club/Trainers in El Paso, TX/Las Cruces, NM area?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong spot.

Anyone here have experience with any trainers/clubs around the El Paso/Las Cruces area that are worth looking into? I've done a little web searching and I'm coming up relatively empty handed. Before I gave up hope I thought I'd inquire here..

Justin
- Kadin vom Kraftwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
To my mind SchH puppies are terrible house pets. But SchH dogs are the absolute BEST.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It's just getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Elite Member

Hey Justin-

Try giving these guys a call to find out which local club they sponsor in El Paso, Texas. Hope this helps.

Barkerhaus Kennel - El Paso, TX

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to JustDSM Send a message via MSN to JustDSM Send a message via Yahoo to JustDSM
Thanks for that! I'm not sure how I missed that, but I hadn't found mention of them.

Justin
- Kadin vom Kraftwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
To my mind SchH puppies are terrible house pets. But SchH dogs are the absolute BEST.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It's just getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus
There is Kevin Sheldahl in Albuquerque,NM. A great trainer...top notch. He does K9 training for all the local PDs and also is a very well known guy for good reasons! His club is NM Hundesport Club

Tululajhs Red Chrome Kahpone~AST/APBT~CGC TT BH~RIP
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus~GSD~CGC DDJ RN
WBBs BleauChromeLady of TheCopa~APBT~STARR CGC
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Elite Member

My hubby is stationed down there in El Paso. He is volunteering his time with barkerhaus kennel and working one of their dogs in SchH. Very nice bunch of people.
Say Hi to him for me if you go.

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Compulsion

Do all Schutzhund trainers use compulsion techniques? I went and saw a club meeting at the Barker Haus, but they were wrenching on GSD's necks. Is this just part of schutzhund?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 AM

That can be a shocker for new people checking out schutzhund. It was for me. But then I learned about hard and soft dogs. Depending on how hard and thick headed a dog is, trainers will need to use a respective degree of correction. If the dog is obviously suffering from and having trouble recovering from a correction, then the trainer went too far and is abuse. Soft dogs don't need hard corrections, and hard dogs can't learn jack from soft corrections. Unfortunately, for competitions, some form of compulsion is necessary depending on dog. There's no cookie cutter technique. Just because someone has a dog that can be trained for competition with zero compulsion, doesn't mean it will work for another dog. And vice versa.

Last edited by myripchoco; 10-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page