GSD's, Mals, and Rotties? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Knighted Member

Re: GSD's, Mals, and Rotties?

I know you weren't responding to me. Just used what you said to clarify that the question was about SchH not if Rotts are "good dogs" in other venues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM

Sorry but I've seen plenty of POS GSD's over the years so saying one of the alternate breeds can't or shouldn't be tested in the schutzhund waters is pompous. Not sure how to break the news too you but the sport doesn't "belong" to the GSD.

You might want to double check but Rotties have been titling in schutzhund about as long as any other breed to include GSDs.

Keith Jenkins
Excalibur vom Herrschaft SchH3,FH,StP.3,BH,TD
Breitta v. Schwarzen Kobold BH,TR1
Argus von der Aunkst SchH3,BH,AD
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

The comments about SAR aren't irrelevant - they pertain to the areas in which the two venues overlap and the comments other people have made. Comments such as:
Quote:
Quote:One of Morgan's BBFs for the last 6 years has been the rott across the street. Any day of the week she can out run him, out OB him and certainly outsmart him. Never mind he's laying on the porch panting when she's just getting warmed up.
Quote:
Quote:I don't see it as either. Rotties are what they are - big burly dogs built to haul a meat cart around.
Quote:
Quote:Rottie's a powerful breed do not possess the speed, are not as agile (able to run fast and tight against the blind, etc.) and their overall structure hinders them in this sport (stamina, physical structure, etc.).
Quote:
Quote: I think it's great that this breed is being used in other avenues, but breeding a dog specifically for something that it wasn't "created" to do... I don't know. I like my herding dogs to herd and my carting dogs to pull. JMO.
And yes, I guess your statement that they're a "carting breed." That's not entirely accurate. Rotties are also a herding breed, just like GSDs. Rotties should not be slow, stupid, lacking in stamina, or lacking in agility.

While they may not do as well in Schutzhund as GSDs, and I have no idea, I don't do Schutzhund, none of the above should be the reason they don't. Both are herding breeds, both have a strong protective instinct. Both SHOULD be athletic agile dogs. (and of course both are victims of poor breeding so that many of the specimens you see running around aren't able to do the things they should.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Knighted Member

Yeah ....we have had plenty of discussions about those GSDs on here as well. You are right about that, there are plenty of dogs who don't do well in SchH but that wasn't the topic either. The fact remains, if Rotts were that good at it, we'd be seeing more of them in SchH. Maybe that will change if what Mary talked about is happening. SchH was created to test the GSD, what it has evolved into no longer does that, so, all breeds can now come take a shot at it I guess.

Frankly, I don't care enough about the topic to argue over it or to make it quite this personal. I sure don't care which breeds compete in SchH either, doesn't make a bit of difference to me.

Anne

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Crowned Member

Nothing personal about it to me, simply trying to correct some of the misconceptions in the statements being made about Rotties as a breed that, yes, were not in the original question but became a recurring part of the discussion. I've yet to see a thread on this board where every single post pertained to and only to the original post.

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Okay so a question I am going to pose is this, are "today's Rottie's" the ones that are not equipped for SchH and herding?

I have yet to see or hear about a Rottie herding.

Yes there are a few Rottie's participating in SchH but the majority of the dogs doing this are GSD's, Mals and I have seen an increase in Bully breeds now participating.

Could this be along the same lines as showlined GSD's are not as "good" as working lined dogs in this venue?

I don't mean to upset anyone, I am just trying to understand as the other forum goers are saying that Rottie's do not belong in the world of SchH or herding for that matter - what the breed was "created" for originally.

I have only met 2 Rottie's in my life, 1 well bred one and the other - not so much. So my experience and knowledge of the breed is limited at best.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Crowned Member

I have Rotties herding plenty of times when herding at RottieEwe Farms in Wright, MO. I don't know how they are represented in herding overall though.

Carla and The Pack
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I don't see many Rottie's around here, even in my home town I have yet to see one.

I have met 1 who was pretty amazing and the other was behind a fence and lived his life out in the yard tied up.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

I know at least some good/responsible and potentially working homes are getting away from them because they're so hard to own due to BSL and breed profiling. When we had one, it was next to impossible to find a place to live, insurance etc. German Shepherds are on a lot of the same lists but Rotties have it even worse. Not sure how much of a factor it is for people but it definitely gives me pause when I've considered getting another one.

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

In 2003 I was in the Upper Buck Sch Club in Pa. The founders of the Club, Mary Beth and Billy Talley were Rottie breeders. Mary Beth titled their then male to Sch 3 FH and competed in a Nationals with him that required her to get a 270 score to qualify. The father of this dog Hutch was an imported German dog that was both Klubseiger and Bunddesseiger in Germany at the regional level. (He was a seiger in conformation and in sch performance). This was one of the sweetest Sch dog I have ever met from any breed. Billy took him to the ADRK Nationals and placed second or third. He had two sons in our club that got titled.
So I have definitely seen and trained with some outstanding Rotts as recently as this decade. Are they as geared to do Sch as a German shepherd that the test was created for....I personally don't think so. But there have been many outstanding ones. Dean Calderon used to be a world competitor Rottie handler back in the day.
On a side note, we had three Rotts participate in our SDA trial in Nov. I was somewhat surprised that these dogs didn't seem to have the speed and agility of dogs I have known in the past. Could be just these particular dog...I am not sure...Just my take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page