Leaking Drive in Obedience - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Leaking Drive in Obedience

I didn’t want to hijack the other post. Wondering...

Would those who have dogs who leak drive in obedience share your experiences?
- What behaviors do you observe in your dog?
- What training methods have you used to help your dog cap his/her drive?
- If you could go back, what would you do differently?
- What was your biggest challenge? How did you overcome it?

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Re: Leaking Drive in Obedience

Vala likes to scream when I am setting up for the retrieves and the send out. Not sure I call it leaking since she doesn't do it during the rest of the routine. Just excitement. Vala is extremely driven with a tremendous amount of intensity. She also talks when we do a lot of tight maneuvers during our warm up. That is frustration.

I remind her to sit (since screaming is not part of sitting) and we do nothing until she shuts up.

Maybe started a hair sooner.

Your last question is answered in the first two.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know much about this. I haven't had a dog who someone described as leaky.

I noticed that my pup today would vocalize as I presented the dumbell to him.. a sorta yelp as he launched to grab it. Leaking.. I don't know... it is sort of explosive exclamation as he dives onto the grip.

I have seen dogs whine a lot in obedience. The shelties are famous for barking during obed. I have wondered what is the cause? I thought sometimes it looked like nerve that couldn't contain the dog, but I bet there is more than one cause for various vocalizations.

Carla and The Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I may have not used the correct terminology in my post title and question. The reason for the post was the discussion in the “Barking during Obedience” thread. A few people mentioned their dogs overloading or leaking drive and I wondered how people train in this situation. Not wanting to change the subject on the barking thread, I started a new one. Maybe I should have asked...

What do you do when your dog overloads during obedience training?

Amy
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Master Member

Good topic. I had my 11 month male in the yard doing some obedience for the first time in a while. We had a large amount of snow that has finally melted. He is fine with recall, retrieve, sitz, platz, etc but when we fuss he goes nuts. He loads up so much it sounds like I'm abusing him but starts short of barking. I can calm him by stopping and talking/stroking his head.

When I get the ball out he loads up so much that his bottom jaw quivers, sometimes audibly. If we are working inside I can put the ball on top of his kennel and he will ignore it but pick it up and the world ends for that ball.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 PM

Eris sounds a bit like Lisa's Vala. She definitely yells at me when we are doing tight heeling like pivots to work on her position. I agree that it is frustration in that part. I have also noticed it sometimes when doing a pick up, or heeling work in protection. I give the command, if she screams, I just wait it out. I am sure to praise when I give a command and she is quiet, we wait a second and then move forward with the exercise. I honestly don't mind it too much, I am pretty good at waiting it out til she calms a bit. It is not excessive in my mind, so I don't know that I would do anything different. She has screamed during retrieves as well, that is excitement. I tell her sit again because like Lisa said screaming is not a part of sitting, or I will heel away and set up again. The cause of it is probably me getting a little too excited, and she feeds off of it.

Dianna
Argo vom Wildhaus SchH 3, AWD 1, P1, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Eris vom Wildhaus SchH 3,IPO3 P1, OAJ, OA, NF, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Isis vom Wildhaus KAB (kick-ass bitch)OB1, TR1, BH, CGC
Nova vom Wildhaus
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

Couple things I do that may contribute to less of this loading up. First, I alway teach basic sit and down with food as puppy where I can withhold the reward if I get anything but good calm sits or downs without barking or loading. Second, when I start formal obedience I spend a lot of time on the down initially. Right now my 13 month old male during training will get 5 minutes of movement obedience, and I'm up to 10 minutes in platz, with me twenty feet away, while somebody else is working. I will probably really start demanding obedience from him in another two months, but by that time he should be able to down for 20 minutes with distractions. This is important to me that he learn to settle on the field "first" before we go to other obedience parts in which I will put him in drive. Third, I do not use things that cause him to overload...so the ball is out right now and so is the tug, and I remain on food until i have the heeling mechanics where I want it without drive or stimulants.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

What do you do for a dog that would lie calmly in a down forever and finds food just as motivating as any toy? Sometimes we just need to wait them out so they realize that calm gets them drive satisfaction and reward for the calm. Some dogs get so much joy out of working that they sometimes have to talk (I am not talking about dogs that whine/bark during the long down and all during a routine).

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

You all have me on the edge of my seat-- especially Cliftonanderson!

I'm trying so very hard to understand how to use the motivating tools we have (food, tug, ball, praise etc) withOUT the dog getting so overexcited that he "loses the lesson."

I'm very interested in hearing about the use of stationary commands, of not moving forward until you have quiet, etc. I guess we want the drive there, just at a level where we still can teach something new, and keep the dog in sync with us even when he or she wants something badly.

Keep posting. Thank you! I'm learning a great deal!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BrightelfKeep posting. Thank you! I'm learning a great deal!
I agree! Great stuff. Thanks.

Amy
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page