Chewy on the tug - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Chewy on the tug

I am working with a dog who is extremely chewy on the tug and ball, as soon as the pressure is released from the handle he starts. Any tips to correcting this? I cannot stand it! I have not seen this transfer to protection work- he is calm on the sleeve, but I do worry about it. Also worry about teaching dumbbells.

Dianna
Argo vom Wildhaus SchH 3, AWD 1, P1, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Eris vom Wildhaus SchH 3,IPO3 P1, OAJ, OA, NF, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Isis vom Wildhaus KAB (kick-ass bitch)OB1, TR1, BH, CGC
Nova vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Chewy on the tug

The helper I am working with suggested to discourage dumbbell chewing~use a crunchy type water bottle and have the dog sit calmly with it in their mouth(while you are watching tv or whatever). If you hear a crackle, then verbally correct the dog to hold calmly. Not sure if it works, I'm not there yet!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

One thing I heard some trainers do is use very hard balls that can't be squished to discourage chewing - softer balls invite chewing behaviour.

Personally as long as the tug and sleeve work is full, calm, and solid, I couldn't care less about chewing on toys - I think it is temperament and genetics more than training.

Keeta is never chewy on toys when playing with me, but can be very chewy on the sleeve (insecurity) -

Gryff and Falkor got chewy on balls and other toys (play), but on protection work tugs, wedges, sleeves: As solid as granite - no insecurity there to worry about!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlThe helper I am working with suggested to discourage dumbbell chewing~use a crunchy type water bottle and have the dog sit calmly with it in their mouth(while you are watching tv or whatever). If you hear a crackle, then verbally correct the dog to hold calmly. Not sure if it works, I'm not there yet!
LOL That's just mean!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Crowned Member

My dog is chewy on his ball and was very chewy on his wood dumbbell when first learning. I had to switch to a plastic AKC dumbbell, stop using the wood one for quite some time, and he's fine now. He never chews on the sleeve.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Most of our dogs are chewy with toys. Having a house full of toys that encourages that... squeaky toys, plush toys, those crinkly water bottle toys (so the water bottle trick for the hold would NEVER work for us)... no doubt encourages that.

Some of them can be a bit chewy on the tug or ball once the resistence is gone, some aren't.

But I've never had chewiness on a toy at home or in play lead to chewiness on the dumbbell. Not if the hold is taught properly. And certainly it's never translated to a sleeve. So I've never worried about it.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I like the water bottle idea. I will pass it along to the owner since I am just dogsitting for a bit. I thought I might get a start on dumbbells for him. =p

Dianna
Argo vom Wildhaus SchH 3, AWD 1, P1, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Eris vom Wildhaus SchH 3,IPO3 P1, OAJ, OA, NF, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Isis vom Wildhaus KAB (kick-ass bitch)OB1, TR1, BH, CGC
Nova vom Wildhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page