Tracking video and a question-maybe discussion??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Tracking video and a question-maybe discussion???

It's like this board has been completely revived with the arrival of Zahnburg! And what great timing, yesterday I learned YouTube now supports HD video so it's very easy for me to upload video now.

So several tracks ago Flash made a mistake and I took advantage of the opportunity to teach him something. I think it's pretty obvious in this video what that mistake was, even without knowing how he used to track. This morning even club members asked about it because he's never done what he is now doing. First, just for and giggles I'm interested in what you think the mistake was. Then, how would you have handled such a mistake when it happened? Based on what you see in the video, how would you address his "problem" in the next track and the track after that and so on? Or does my whole track suck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0xkfOx2Tgw

Sorry the first 30 or so feet are missing. The videographer was my judge and then she couldn't figure out how to turn the camera on.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:35 AM

Re: Tracking video and a question-maybe discussion???

Great work!

Problem seems to be that he wants to down early on the articles, about 10 feet or so on the first and third legs. I hear a lot of wind on the first and third legs, I believe they were going in the same direction? The second leg is much more accurate with the article indication, and you hear less wind in the video.

MY thought would be that the wind is the issue, and I'd set him up for success when laying the track by taking the wind heavily into consideration. For example, if tracking into the wind makes him down early, then track with the wind at your back for a while. Later, as you set up wind challenges, you'll need to pull him through the zone where he's wanting to down early - maybe some extra bait, etc etc.

Also, he's very accurate with most of the footsteps, but the ones he misses are all on the same side, leading me to believe there *may* have been a cross wind? If so, you might try shortening your steps or dragging your feet for the variable that made him miss those steps.

great work! I love watching tracking videos....Nice dog, good handling.

I wouldn't correct him, maybe just a simple "no" when he starts to down early and a clear, superbly timed "Yes!" (or whatever) rewarding the instant he starts to give a good indication....

And of course, I could be way off...

Christine

Monster Dog Equipment

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vesta German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock River Dog Sport Club, UKC

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Crowned Member

The only thing I saw as well were what Christine mentioned.

I thought the track was really well done. I noticed him indicating early, but didn't catch the missed steps until the second time watching.

I blame the wind and would just start working him as the above poster mentioned.

Great job, do you have any more videos of you guys tracking?

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Crowned Member

Loved him! I really like how he moves his head on the footsteps.

And I loved your boots too

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Crowned Member

I see a dog with intense drive with his tracking behavior. I enjoyed watching this video. With the exception of the "slight" anticipation of article indication, Flash exhibits everything I like to see in tracking. (And the article indication itself was very good).

~Lynn~
Dante v. Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz, BH (HOT)
Laos v. Hnxer Wald
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Master Member

Jessica, I think this is the first time I have seen my screenname mentioned where the word A-hole was not in the same sentence.

The dog in the video looks very happy, and seems to be pulling like an ox. What happens if you make the lines slack? Does he want to go even faster or does he stop and look at you?

I don't think I would worry too much about the dog wanting to indicate early yet. Have you been focusing on the articles, or is it new to him? If he continues to do this I think if you step up to him and give him a pop forward with a suche command it should solve the problem.

Art

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Aahh, Zahnburg you were just misunderstood!!! Some of us think you rock, but unfortunately are also the type of people least likely to tell ya so!

Now that you are in at least one person's good graces, back to tracking.

Carla and The Pack
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

He's really not pulling all that hard, he's just dramatic about what little he is pulling. He can pull pretty darn hard when we haven't tracked in a few days, but he didn't on that track. Despite the appearance it's just a slight tension on the line and I'm not resisting him much. For the most part that's just how he tracks. Once or twice I have had to momentarily drop the lines when they got tangled in my feet and he just kept on cruising, not getting any faster, same when I occasionally make one line go limp when he's absolutely nailing a leg.

There was a pretty decent and constant wind as evidenced by the sound. I actually did lay the track with the wind primarily to our backs because I was anticipating the indication issue and only wanted to really focus on that, and then of course the winds shifted by the time we ran the track so there went that plan. But we were not going into the wind at any point during this track and I'm completely confident the wind had nothing to do with his early "kind of sort of" indications. I think the wind being so obvious threw you guys off. But obviously he's working through article problems.

Several tracks before this one, for the first time ever, he blew right past an article and didn't think twice about continuing without indicating (he really surprised me, if it were trial day it would have been one of those "my dog has never done THAT before" moments!). It was also the last article on the track. So I immediately platzed him (he was then lying on top of the article) with a downward pop, placed the article back on the track just up ahead of us, restarted him and platzed him hard at the article. The next day he didn't "kind of sort of" early indicate, he flat out early indicated 10+ feet at every single article. Day after that he early indicated the first 3 articles then did fine on the 4th. And so on and so on. Each track he has gotten progressively better and in fact the day after this track he only "kind of sort of" indicated early at the first article. Only when he completely indicates early have I done anything (just tell him such), otherwise I just let him work through it. This is what I'll continue to do over many, many tracks. That's my plan, just lots of tracking and he'll figure things out. As long as he continues to show me he is thinking and learning, I'm happy.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 PM

I thought it actually looked like a pretty nice track other than the early indication of the articles. How much food are you putting down (just curious), as in how many footsteps between bait pieces?

The only other thing I noticed, and this isn't necessarily on topic, but I could see every single footstep on that track. How hard did you stomp it in? One thing that I have found through trial and error... trial being two SchH2 trials and error being failing twice.... is that you have to be careful in how you lay your tracks. Its nice when you can stomp them in good and hard and see your dog do well duing trianing, but when you get to the SchH2 and SchH3 someone else is going to lay your track. Granted, track layers are supposed to be relatively equal, but it depends on who you get and what flavor of coffee they drank that morning, if you know what I mean. That is why in Germany they are going to designated regional track layers. For each region there will be a certian number of designated track layers, one or more of which will be required to lay the tracks for a trial or the trial won't be valid. We aren't to that point here in the US yet.

Ok, I digress, anyway, I agree whith what was said. I was going to mention the wind thing too, but it's already been covered. I thought it was a nice treack other than the article indication, good job!

Krylos
SG Echo vom Wildhaus - SchH3/IPO3 (14x), USCA GSD Nats (2x), USCA WDC (2x)
Alpha vom Haus Herru
VP Ansgar vom Haus Herru
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Master Member

OK. I understand better. I make a LOT of pressure getting to the articles and it is not unusual for the dog to want to, initially, indicate early (or down on corners or when they loose the track etc.) I think that this is similar. To me this is not a lot of pressure, but to your dog this was pressure. What I would suggest is as soon as the dog starts to indicate early just say "suche,suche". I would say to pop him forward, but I do not think it is necessary with your dog.

Art

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page