Making Retrieves - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Making Retrieves

Another training discussion. How do you make retrieves? What are the advantages and disadvantages to your method? Do you use special equipment (table, box, etc.)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Re: Making Retrieves

OK. A lot of views and no replies. Perhaps the topic is too broad, there are quite a few aspects to the retrieve. So let me narrow it down. How do you teach the dog to hold the dumbell calmly and firmly? At what point do you do this; is it the first thing you train or do you worry about it after the dog is retrieving the dumbell?

Art

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

Hi Art.. there was a thread a while ago on "forced retrieve" it was a good decision. Maybe I'll try to find that.

I teach the "hold" separate with a dowel with a string attached keeping pressure so that the dog must hold firmly or he'll receive a slight correction if he drops it or I can pull it out of his mouth. I've used all motivational training with my retrieves in the beginning of teaching the different parts of the retrieve. This exercise broken down has multiple parts.

Hold
Pick Up
Retrieve
Presentation (front)
Speed

I'm going to look for that other thread/discussion.

~Lynn~
Dante v. Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz, BH (HOT)
Laos v. Hnxer Wald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

Art,

We use the pond...:-)

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lynn_PHi Art.. there was a thread a while ago on "forced retrieve" it was a good decision. Maybe I'll try to find that.

I teach the "hold" separate with a dowel with a string attached keeping pressure so that the dog must hold firmly or he'll receive a slight correction if he drops it or I can pull it out of his mouth. I've used all motivational training with my retrieves in the beginning of teaching the different parts of the retrieve. This exercise broken down has multiple parts.

Hold
Pick Up
Retrieve
Presentation (front)
Speed

I teach this in the same way, right now we are still working on presentation (getting that nice front sit, Stark tends to sit to the side a bit) and speed (he likes to take his time... haha).

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: elisabeth_00117
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lynn_PHi Art.. there was a thread a while ago on "forced retrieve" it was a good decision. Maybe I'll try to find that.

Hold
Pick Up
Retrieve
Presentation (front)
Speed

I teach this in the same way, right now we are still working on presentation (getting that nice front sit, Stark tends to sit to the side a bit) and speed (he likes to take his time... haha).
How are his fronts without the dumbell? Flash is just my first dog and all but I'm a firm believer in "don't even think about fronts with a dumbell unless the dog is 110% perfect without the dumbell".

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Crowned Member

He does great without the dumbell!

Nice and straight, close to me (nose almost touching my stomach), fast and accurate.. with the dumbell, he sits off to the side and a bit further back from where I want him. I am constantly straightening him up before I command him to auss the dumbell. Not sure if he is getting side tracked with the dumbell or what, he doesn't do this with when we use his ball or tug rope either, so not sure what's going on.

XX z Weberhaus
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Crowned Member

My dogs retrieves were taught motivationally..

First building drive for the dumbbell, to where my dogs were racing out and snatching the dumbbell up, then teaching the hold separately (I used their dumbbell for this), once they understood what the hold was, I gradually pieced it all together..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted By: elisabeth_00117
.........Nice and straight, close to me (nose almost touching my stomach), fast and accurate.. with the dumbell, he sits off to the side and a bit further back from where I want him. I am constantly straightening him up before I command him to auss the dumbell.
Did you work the hold in the front position? How do you straighten him before asking him to out?

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

What do you mean work the hold in the front position? Like use this as a sepearte training manuver? Just have him hold the dumbell in the front until he get's it?

I'm new so I have been basically learning as I go, reading, researching and watching videos. My trainer and I have been doing the front's, heels, retrieves with a ball or tug, not the dumbell, I think maybe because it is heavier than the others?

I will work on just the hold in the front position.

When I straighten him up, I usually lure him in with my hands (or a treat). I can get him to straighten up with just bringing my hands towards myself (does this make sense?).

XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page