Dog jumping in the blind - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Dog jumping in the blind

Some love it, some hate it. Opinions?

If your dog did jump in the blind and was intense and clean would you try to make him more "grounded"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Re: Dog jumping in the blind

I am particularly interested in the opinion of judges. (I know you are out there).

I will be honest and would appreciate some honest input. I am planning on showing my dog at some of the bigger trials this coming year. He is a jumper in the blind and guards very close. Here is a picture so that you can get an idea of how close he guards: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/487615.html
I have been advised by several people (people that DO know what they are talking about) that some judges (at higher levels) would dismiss the dog for guarding this way, despite the fact that he is clean and intense ( and does a silent guard on the field). Even if the judge did not dismiss the dog, they contend that I should make the dog guard on the ground for various other reasons.
Would I be well advised to try to make him guard on the ground? (FYI, we tried to make him guard on the ground initially as a young dog but never could get him to do so).
Thank you for your input.

Art

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:34 PM

Hey Art, might be the wrong board for such a question. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there are any Schutzhund judges or National Level Competitors on here to help. I know Sue is on here, so maybe she can ask Gabor about it.. Are you on the euro list, that list has many high level competitors & breeders on it.

Best Regards,
Dennis Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hey Dennis,

I am not on the Euro-list, I seem to be woefully behind the curve when it comes to internet sites. Perhaps you could PM me with info on the Euro-list?
I do believe that I saw at least one judge around. If he would be so kind as to respond or send a PM I would be very grateful.
I did see Sue, if Gabor has an opinion on the matter that he would be so kind to share that would be greatly appreciated. Again I appreciate the input. Thanks.

Art

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Master Member

Art, if you hear anything, if you would be so kind to post I would be very interested in hearing it...
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Knighted Member

Why would you need to be a "National Competitor" to comment ? You entered a National once didn't you Dennis? What do you think?

I have not heard of any dogs dismissed recently because they jump in the blind. Yeah, if he bites the helper in the nose you are done but you said he was clean. The BSP winner does that behavior in the blind and obviously was not dismissed. I didn't hear any big controvesry about it and no I wasn't there, I watched the dog on You Tube, so, I guess maybe I don't know what I am talking about. lol.

I am in the "I don't like it" group but since it looks like a behavior that you have allowed, judging from the picture anyway, you might be hard pressed to change it. Comes down to what you like and what you think you can do about it at this point. If you say you are ready to enter bigger trials, seems to me, you are already down the road a ways. so, no matter how many opinions you get, you won't be fixing it now. You don't have time. Besides, you said you could not stop it before...do you have some new plan or way to accomplish it now?

Anne

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Knighted Member

Anne, can you explain why you don't like it?

We have malinois in our club that does it too. I think they're trying to get him to cut it out.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Crowned Member

Actually Dennis has done more than one National.

Carolina Johnson

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quoting Anne:

"I have not heard of any dogs dismissed recently because they jump in the blind. Yeah, if he bites the helper in the nose you are done but you said he was clean. The BSP winner does that behavior in the blind and obviously was not dismissed. I didn't hear any big controvesry about it"

I thought the same thing and was a bit surprised to hear that this could result in dismissal. I also brought up assorted other dogs that jump in the blind, the one that you reference being the most obvious. The reply was that there is a difference between a dog jumping UP and DOWN with some distance from the helper and the dog jumping to the helper's face with inches of distance. They were quite certain that it would not be permitted by a judge (at a bigger trial), and as I said before I respect the opinion of those that said this, as they do know what thay are talking about. The only reason that I have to question it is that it caught me entirely off-guard and surprised me.
I agree that it may be difficult to change the guarding, but if his current guarding is not permitted then I do not believe I have much of a choice. I have not come up with a brilliant plan to change it, but I have some ideas. I figure if I am going to do it now would be the time as it will give me several months.

Art

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Knighted Member

I was just spell checking my post to Jason when I saw your response. I will answer Jason in a minute but what I was saying is that I have a dog right now that jumps, not like yours though. He keeps his back feet pretty much on the ground. However, I train all my dogs, ( at least I try to ), to stay back a couple of feet in the blind. There are two reasons for this. One, they bark better and two, they are less likely to bump because a helper moves or flinches. The problem you may have if he is that close is a helper who will flinch. Your helper may be used to it but in a trial, the helper does not know your dog. If he moves his head, yeah, your dog might bite him. Especially when you are in a big trial and the nerves and all the other excitement that goes on there loads him a bit more than usual. I frankly, do not see how a judge would dismiss a dog for this just because he is close. That would seem to be a bit unfair since there is no rule that says the dog can't get closer than six inches. I am not clear on the people who "know what they are talking about". What is it they know? You mean they have seen a judge dismiss a dog for this?
I know you didn't ask for advice but I think if it were me, and I was worried about it, what I would do is teach the dog to stop further out . I really do not know how you will stop the jumping at this point without causing big problems with you or your helper. So, if you can get him to stop a foot or two back, that should solve it. You would really have to train it consistently and resist the urge to test since he will probably revert back to being too close after a couple of times of being allowed freedom to do that.

Anne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page