Best buys on schutzhund equipment? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Best buys on schutzhund equipment?

I am getting ready to order some equipment for Kaid. First where is the best place to order from? I need some good prices and second what in your opinion does a beginner need?

Right now I am planning to get ball on a rope(probably 2) and I want a training vest. Anything else?

Kaid der Dieb Meines Herzens CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Re: Best buys on schutzhund equipment?

good question Im gonna order a tug, ball on a rope and a puppy pillow..my girl has her eval for PP friday..
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

hallmarkk9 for balls, tugs, and the vest
bridgeport equipment has a great harness for protection training(it is the tracking one, but I only use it for protection) For tracking, just a fursaver is fine.
You'll also want a fursaver, tracking line, short thin obedience lead, I would get a tug as well as the balls for training.
Oh, and this is named after a trainer in the club I go to-you may like her favorite ball:
roni ball

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

Me and my dog prefer the Gappay balls (from Hallmark), but they pop off the strings instantly, we've gone through so many I can't remember. The ones from EliteK9 (the yellow one with the black string) seem to hold up better. I still use the Gappay ones, but remove their string and put on my own (thicker, longer, and has a big chunk of leather it's tied to so I can lift my dog up tugging on the ball and it won't come off). I like knots at the end, no loops or toggles (even getting hit in the knuckle with the knot is enough, can't imagine a toggle!).

We use the harness Jane posted for protection. Seems to be good quality and great price compared to others.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Master Member

I've been very very happy with all the equipment I have gotten from Dog Sport Gear (leashes, ball on ropes, dumbbells, fursavers, tugs, puppy bite wedge, tracking lines). You can't go wrong dealing with Ralph and they make some great quality items and offer excellent customer service.

All the items listed thus far are good things for starting out. I also like to use an OB leash that doesn't have a handle on it when doing any leash work in which the you may not be physically holding the leash but would like to have it on in between doing exercises where you are holding it and not. Rationale is that you don't want the dog's leg(s) to get caught up in the handle loop by accident (eg doing recalls, etc).
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 PM

I will put in a second vote for Bridgeport Equipment. I love their "English Rein Leather" leashes. I have their tracking harness as well and it held up through Lana's early agitation work great. It still looks like brand new, but I hardly use it now because she has progressed in training to not needing it any longer.

I have to say that my favorite ball came from Petco, and had I known that it would hold up for more than three years I would have bought a few more. Being that I got it three years ago, I don't remember the brand, and I haven't seen it in a pet store or catalong since then. Grrr...

Krylos
SG Echo vom Wildhaus - SchH3/IPO3 (14x), USCA GSD Nats (2x), USCA WDC (2x)
Alpha vom Haus Herru
VP Ansgar vom Haus Herru
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: krylosI will put in a second vote for Bridgeport Equipment. I love their "English Rein Leather" leashes. I have their tracking harness as well and it held up through Lana's early agitation work great. It still looks like brand new, but I hardly use it now because she has progressed in training to not needing it any longer.

I have to say that my favorite ball came from Petco, and had I known that it would hold up for more than three years I would have bought a few more. Being that I got it three years ago, I don't remember the brand, and I haven't seen it in a pet store or catalong since then. Grrr...
Is this the ball? It is Petco's brand and my dogs have alot of them, they love em. And they do last forever.
The only drawback is they have only one hole where the sqeaker use to be, so a dog could get that suction tongue thing going that could be dangerous. I should drill another hole in them and run a rope inside! I don't use them for training, but just play:
http://www.petco.com/product/105837/...l-Dog-Toy.aspx

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 PM

Jane, no, that isn't the one. It's more like the other "ball on a string" ones that were posted earlier in the thread... but not one of the big-name brands. I think it actually had a bell in it when I first got it if I remember right, but I removed that right away. I'm too lazy to post a pic of it right now... perhaps this weekend

Krylos
SG Echo vom Wildhaus - SchH3/IPO3 (14x), USCA GSD Nats (2x), USCA WDC (2x)
Alpha vom Haus Herru
VP Ansgar vom Haus Herru
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 AM

fordogtrainers.com has a ball with a bell inside:

-Sarah

Amara CGC

CGC
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Master Member

Hallmark K9 for Gappay balls. Be sure to get 2 or more so you can play 2 ball with your dog. Having gotten several at USA nationals, I think they may have fixed the string issue because we've been going at it twice a day without a problem. This is with a 9 month old that doesn't always like to out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page