Schutzhund Box - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Schutzhund Box

I am interested in understanding more about using the box when working a young dog in bite work. Can anyone offer information about this technique? Pro's and con's, purpose, potential "screw ups" etc...

All our dogs are fed naturally!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus
Re: Schutzhund Box

I'm not sure I understand what "box" you are talking about? Are you talking about "table" work??

Courtney

Tululajhs Red Chrome Kahpone~AST/APBT~CGC TT BH~RIP
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus~GSD~CGC DDJ RN
WBBs BleauChromeLady of TheCopa~APBT~STARR CGC
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I guess so, in the other threads, a box was specified but I imagine it is likely the same theory...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

You can see a short youtube video here
scroll down a bit.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I did watch that particular video but I am looking more towards discussion purposes.

I have heard of table training before and if my memory serves me right (which rarely it does lol) table training is used to take away the flight option and promote the fight response in a dog. I am looking for discussion about the merits of box/table training in protection.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

The concept of "box and "table" are similar. We have both at our club for different purposes.
The box is about a foot and a half off of the ground, it has sides and a back so that the dog can primarily see straight ahead. We use it primarily for the young dogs between 10 months and 14 months to strengthen bark, work the dog out of prey, and strengthen the bite on bisquit. The dog is worked from a distance, through suspicion and encouraged to keep the person at bay with strong barking by slowly increasing critical threshholds until you can give the bite while the dog is barking strong. We especially like this with over the top prey monsters that lock in prey and are difficult barkers. The dog learns through strength he can control the situation of the decoy.
The table on the other hand is a round platform about 4 feet off the ground and has no sides. Usually round with post in middle that has stakeout tie attached. Nate Harves had a similar diagram in last years USA magasine. We usually don't put a dog on the table until it has "graduated from the box.
With the box the handler is standing right beside the dog giving verbal and physical encouragement as he pats his dog slightly as he fires up. On the table the dog is by himself and has to express himself in strength on his own merit. These are general principles but it gives idea of principles.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:We use it primarily for the young dogs between 10 months and 14 months to strengthen bark, work the dog out of prey, and strengthen the bite on bisquit.
Can you achieve the same w/the 3 sided fence?

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

By the dog being in the box he/she is off the ground and it creates a type of stress that the dog works through(though not hard for any dog with decent nerve), it removes flight and prey drive as options and requires dog to confront challenge in a more nerve perspective as opposed to drive perspective if that makes sense. If dog is on the ground there gives more probanility to thrashing,spinning, and behavoirs of this sort that are not desired.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Crowned Member

Sorry I had double.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

One last thing on the box....I am not promoting the box to anyone on the list as probably many would not be effective in using it if they are in Sch clubs. My point is the evolution of the type of "working" dogs we have today is a reflection of nature,(genetics), and nuture,(training methodology). The prey movement in the breed, unbalanced development of drives in the dog; is an analogy to the black and red show strucure, show dogs being all black and red and of a less than agile structure; as examples of the way specialization has taken over the breed. Until both aspects of this equation is addressed the breed will never assume it place again as "consistently" a great working dog. Things like the box and muzzle training which are very effective tools for developing a "good" protection dog have all but been discarded for the extreme perfection of the routine through things like complete prey training which is easier to manage and less stressful on handlers and trainers to execute. These are reasons why you as sport people can "say" that a prey dog can transition to real protection, but if you ask the practitioners of real dogs(police/military trainers) even in Germany, and they will tell you that the GS of today basically isn't equipped to be "consistently" successful today in this vocation. This should concern true stewards of the breed instead of trying to justify this phenomenon.JMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page