Proper age to make protection work - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Proper age to make protection work

My first topic seemed to make quite an impression, 95 posts and around 1200 views. Perhaps this will also get people thinking.

I worked with a trainer from Belgium a while back who most would know or at least would know the dogs he has shown. His position on starting a young dog in protection is to wait until they are a year old. That is all the detail I will give at the moment. Opinions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Proper age to make protection work

I think my club doesn't start dogs in protection until 15 months. Which trainer in Belgium?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Knighted Member

At least a year and then only when they show they are ready.

Anne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

Define 'start in protection'.

Mauser started rag work at 3 months. I've seen young pups (under 6 months of age) doing sleeve work - all in PLAY mode.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Expand on that Lauri. All the time you see young pups being worked. Why or why not is it a good idea?

Art

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Elite Member

Hmm...Starting - is prey building with rag and tug with a decoy as a pup not considered "protection" work? So for clarification of terms, what is the definition of starting protection? Pressure and biting the sleeve? Much appeciated.

As I started this sport when my dog was 14 months, my experience is limited. We did prey work. Some sleeve work but then decided to "put him up" to mature and started in earnest on the sleeve when he was more ready at about 19 or 20 months.
My guess is that tug work and as young puppy is to gain confidence and develop prey drive and beginning to teach proper gripping. It appears that the more balanced fight drive is not that present as a pup, but in a more mature dog.

Sarah

"Sita" Rosewoods Hot Tamale CD 2/6/00~3/26/08
"Nandi" Celhaus Rama Ring of Fire IPO 1, AKC TD, CGC 12/18/2004
Pele vom Landschaft IPO 3
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Master Member

I'm really looking forward to the discussion on this topic!

Quote:
Quote: At least a year and then only when they show they are ready.
Anne, could you elaborate a bit more as to what behaviours you would see in a dog who is showing that they are "ready"?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

OK. I have learned that I must be very specific on this board so we will define "Protection work" as follows:
" Any interaction between dog and helper where the helper induces, incites, encourages, teaches and/or trains barking and/or gripping behavior from the dog or attempts to do so. However, for the purpose of this discussion we shall not consider one or two dog/helper interaction(s) "protection work" so long as the primary purpose of said interaction(s) is to evaluate the quality of the dog or ascertain his suitability for the work. "

Is that a clear enough definition?

Art

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

I've heard 1 year over at workingdogforum.com.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Quote:" Any interaction between dog and helper where the helper induces, incites, encourages, teaches and/or trains barking and/or gripping behavior from the dog or attempts to do so. However, for the purpose of this discussion we shall not consider one or two dog/helper interaction(s) "protection work" so long as the primary purpose of said interaction(s) is to evaluate the quality of the dog or ascertain his suitability for the work. "

Is that a clear enough definition?
Uh.....no.
You lost me after "however"

Anne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page