Ever have one of those *awesome* tracking days?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Ever have one of those *awesome* tracking days?!

Today I took the dogs up to the club for a nice run and a bit of OB training. With the wind warnings for our area (gusts from 60 km/hr up to 100 km/hr), I didn't want to hang out around our house since all we have around us are trees, trees, and more trees.

So while I was there I thought well, why not try a track while we are here? Jax is quite a nice little (well she's not so little but...) tracker now but on a day like today, it really affirmed jst how far she has come over the last couple years with our tracking. We've done quite a few tracks in crazy winds but nothing like how the wind was today!

We've been working on an FH track in case we aren't ready for a SchH 2 in the spring (mainly due to control in protection ) but since the temperature has dropped here and the vegetation is close to frozen I figured I would do a relatively easy track given the crazy winds to see how things would go. Her main "wind" difficulties in tracking are tracking with the crosswind so I did her 1st leg around 300 paces with 2 articles with the crosswind, then 2 corners with a few other scattered articles (I was quite sure she would track fine with the wind on our backs to end). Track was aged only 20-25 minutes and done on approx 1-2" vegetation. Also threw in a cross over a travelled concrete road for some good measure for an FH element.

Anyhows....she nailed that first leg pretty much perfectly!! The other legs and elements were pretty super as well! Nice consistent low nose, nice level of concentration, and nice straight article indications despite the winds hitting up to what had to have been a minimum of 60 km/hr winds! It was blowing so hard that it was almost pushing her body off to the side (mine too!) and not to mention how her coat looked blowing up in the wind but she kept that darn little nose of hers right on the track . Of this, I could be sure since I could still see some light footstep treads from my track. Whooo Hooo! It was one of those "yep, she can track alright!" moments that I simply had to share since I was/am so excited at how well it went.

I suppose it is such a rush since we really struggled with tracking for quite a while given her crazy drive and desire to be an air scenting gal! I am still so thankful for all the help we have received in tracking from 2 very seasoned and expert SchH folk who have been kind enough to come up for seminars and who have been so gracious in helping us when we've travelled down for some advice and help! Can't beat that at all!

All in all, a VERY VERY happy day for us and I simply had to share with others who know what a rush this can be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:36 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Re: Ever have one of those *awesome* tracking days?!

WHAAAAT!!! You went tracking in this wind??? Well, that is pretty impressive! Congratulations to you and Jax, you have reason to be proud and pleased!

I'm sure Jax wil nail that FH no problem! You guys are a real team!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

That is cool!!! Tracking in the wind is hard. I used to go out in the wind on puprpose. It helped make my dogs very good wind trackers.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Quote: WHAAAAT!!! You went tracking in this wind???
Yes - so now I can officially say I am off my rocker in more ways than one I was more willing to sweat over a track rather than sweating over whether a tree would fall on our heads! LOL

It's picked up even more tonight - pretty freaky out there!

Quote:
Quote: I used to go out in the wind on puprpose. It helped make my dogs very good wind trackers.
Absolutely agreed! I figure if we can face as many challenges as possible that should we luck out and have decent weather during a trial, tracking should at least go quite well

I've also been known to gear up and head out tracking when we have wicked rain storms and hail coming down Now if only we only had a couple months of winter rather than the usual 5 + months of no tracking...life would be very very good up here in the north!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Sounds like you have a nice dog fix your bite work so you can put on a nice show.

Scheiber's Tarkeus Bad Joke Rott Schutzhund III RIP.
Echo Vom Camdenerland GSD Schutzhund II RIP.
Jett Vom Triton GSD Next Big Thing Schutzhund III

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm not easily impressed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page