how to prepare for an evaluation? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

how to prepare for an evaluation?

I'm interested in getting involved in schutzhund with my 9 month old GSD. I found a trainer that wants to meet my dog for an assessment as to what she knows and where we need to begin. She's trained in English, so aside from teaching her sitz & platz, what should she know before we meet the trainer?
She heels fine on a lead, but not the way it would be expected for this activity. Her sit, down, stand, and stays are really very good.
Other than that, she knows lots of tricks which are cute but useless for this purpose.
How would I get ready?
In case you didn't notice, I'm a complete novice. This will be my first experience in that arena.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Crowned Member

Re: how to prepare for an evaluation?

Honestly, a good SchH trainer is probably going to be looking more at her temperament, soundness, drives, how she interacts with you adn the environment, etc. These are things that you can't really prepare and train for like you would specific skills. When I started training my now 6, then 4.5 year old dog in Schutzhund, I basically re-taught pretty much all of her obedience anyway.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:50 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

You can use English commands in Schutzhund, so no worries there.

The evaluation will not be so much about what Jiva already knows, but more to see if she would be a good candidate for protection work. They will want to see her confidence in a new place, interacting with new people she has never met before. They will play with her with a tug or rag to see how much prey drive she has.

There is no "set" evaluation, and each trainer will do things their own way, but an experienced trainer/helper can tell loads about a dog just by watching it walk onto the field for the first time in her life.

If you are interested in Schutzhund, the main thing you can do is always use positives for training. Will she work for a ball or tug? Build her confidence and her enthusiasm for obedience by using a ball or tug reward. At this beginning stage, you don't need to be concerned about high-precision in obedience, but want to have a happy, animated, excited dog that WANTS to work with you and work FOR you!

So really, to get ready, just have FUN! Go new places, meet new people, get your well-behaved puppy amped up and excited for playing new games with you!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Elite Member

I joined a SchH club this year and did nothing in advance to prepare for the evaluation. They evaluated the dog's temperament and fit for SchH rather than what he already knows.

Your commands can be in either English or German. It doesn't matter. You may have to re-train some commands to be more precise for SchH, so if you are using English, you might want to reserve the German commands for when you get started with training.

The prep I did do was reading up on SchH before visiting the club so I understood at least the basics of what was going on.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks. I appreciate the information.
It makes sense that they'll be more looking at her temperament for possibility. I came home tonight and tried her commands in german and luckily I have used simple gestures and she followed those cues right into place even with a different word. Seems that's the least of it anyway.
She loves tug, but her strategy is to hold tight rather than wrestle it away. She prefers to go for endurance rather than the fight. I can pull, twist, shake and she just stays latched on. Even if her feet leave the ground she hangs on. But she won't really pull or try to yank it away as much as just stay on it.
I guess I haven't exposed her to many games besides fetch. She has a strong preference for tennis balls, but I can get her excited about other toys if I put some effort into it and make it seem fun enough.
She's met new people nearly every day for 6 months. I think she'll be confident and unaffected by unusual surroundings.
So I could go meet them tomorrow, but I had thought it would be better to start prepping her in some way. What I've learned here is that there really is no prepping for this type of evaluation. I've watched it on youtube, but I admit I don't fully understand what is going on.
How will I know if it's a decent organization? Anything I should hope to see, or not to see?

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

I can tell you what I was looking for in a club is positive training, laid back atmosphere but still goal oriented, friendly and supportive club members, and willingness and patience to help someone who is learning.

Amy
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RuthieI can tell you what I was looking for in a club is positive training, laid back atmosphere but still goal oriented, friendly and supportive club members, and willingness and patience to help someone who is learning.
That would be an awesome club. I hope you have success training with the bunch of Hooligans you're with until you find that club!

BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Wayne02
That would be an awesome club. I hope you have success training with the bunch of Hooligans you're with until you find that club!

Yeah, I think I stick with um. Afterall, they put up with me and my crazy beast AND manage to teach me a lot in the process.

Doggydog, hope you can find a great group to train with too.

Amy
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggydogI'm interested in getting involved in schutzhund with my 9 month old GSD. I found a trainer that wants to meet my dog for an assessment as to what she knows and where we need to begin. She's trained in English, so aside from teaching her sitz & platz, what should she know before we meet the trainer?
She heels fine on a lead, but not the way it would be expected for this activity. Her sit, down, stand, and stays are really very good.
Other than that, she knows lots of tricks which are cute but useless for this purpose.
How would I get ready?
In case you didn't notice, I'm a complete novice. This will be my first experience in that arena.

An evaluation isn't something you prepare for or train for, the club will be looking at the core personality of you're dog not her training. They'll want to assess her drive, nerve, how she reacts to strange people, places, dogs and things. They're determining if she has what it takes in terms of *temperament* to pursue SchH, not where she's at in training.

So relax, show up on time, watch and listen and ask a few questions and most of all have fun and keep your ears and mind open.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

thx. exciting.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page