How long to title? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How long to title?

I was at the bookstore the other day and was flipping through a GSD book. (Sorry, didn't note the title) I saw an interesting statistic that I wanted to run by those with experience.

The book said that a typical obedience title takes 6 - 9 months to earn, but a Schutzhund title takes an average of 2 years. I am assuming that they are talking about a SchH1, not a BH. I know this is an average because all dogs are different, but I am interested to see how good their stat is.

So, those of you who have titled at dog, how long did it take? For what title? How old was your dog when you started training for SchH? (Because I wonder if they include puppy training in the two year timeframe)

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Master Member

Re: How long to title?

I once wondered this but I honestly think it depends on the handler and their dog. So many factors such has how often they train during the week, training methods, how old the dog is, etc...how much brains your dog has :P drives...mistakes as a handler that you make that set your dog back...etc etc

Marie

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

Indeed it depends on a lot of things. You also have to take into consideretion that your dog HAS to be 15 months old before you can trial for a BH. If a handler trains on a regular basis, getting a SchH 1 by the time the dog is 2 years old is very normal.

Carolina Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

Some people will rush thru to title and not set the proper foundation.
At the club I was at this weekend, one guy has an almost 3 yr old that has his BH only. He isn't concerned about the age of his dog, but the way he will earn his titles. And to have fun with his dog.
Individual goals and the maturity timing of the lines play into it as well.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 PM
dOg
Elite Member

I might know that guy...

BH is 15 mos, and the rules are 3 mos in between, so 18 for 1, 21 mos for a 2 and 24 for a 3 is as fast as one might be able to go with no hiccups. I've only seen that happen once, so not sure how normal that might be. The handler had already taken a dog to SchH3, and the 2nd was a great dog. As much as Murphy loves trials, don't set your heart on that 2 year goal for a 3, it's a process, not a race.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Crowned Member

hehehe
Murphy always gets murphys way...
or in the way

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Honestly, not asking for myself. I have my own goals based on Bison and I both being new, and estimating what he capible of.

I really am just interested in verifying the statistic in the book with real data.

And, yeah, I think I know that guy too. Really great dog.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I'd say 2 years is pretty average for most regular SchH people. By "regular" I mean normal folks, not professional trainers, who train regularly but also have a life beyond SchH.

Age the dog is when started can also be a factor. If starting with a pup, it's not uncommon to take closer to 3 once waiting for the dog to mature is factored in. If starting with an adolescent or adult dog where some maturity has already happened, might only take a year.

There are so many other factors involved from aptitude of handler to aptitude of dog to quality of training/helpers available to frequency of training, not to mention injuries or sickness or family/job issues or any number of other things that can slow progress, that I bet there are as many cases of folks not falling into that average as there are that do though. So I'd consider it a pretty rough average.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:06 PM

I know that I am the factor that holds my 3 year old "pup" back. I am a first-time dog owner and a first-time SchH handler/trainer. As someone above noted though, I am more interested in how we prepare and the fun that we have while training than how fast we get our titles. Lana was 2 when she got her BH, a couple months older when she got her SchH1, and is now just slightly over 3. Hopefully we will try for her SchH2 later this month if there is time, but if not, oh well... there is always next spring She could have done this all MUCH faster with someone with more experience, but we have fun doing what we do at the speed we advance.

Krylos
SG Echo vom Wildhaus - SchH3/IPO3 (14x), USCA GSD Nats (2x), USCA WDC (2x)
Alpha vom Haus Herru
VP Ansgar vom Haus Herru
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus

I can say that waiting for this dog to mature has been frustrating. I started him as a puppy and he is 27 months old now. He doesn't have a BH yet.....He is ready for one but time and financial restrictions have held us back from getting it. That said, I think that 2 years is probably average....depending on the dog and owner.

I know now that the longer they require to mature, teh longer the titles take!

Courtney

Tululajhs Red Chrome Kahpone~AST/APBT~CGC TT BH~RIP
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus~GSD~CGC DDJ RN
WBBs BleauChromeLady of TheCopa~APBT~STARR CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page