Photos at a trial - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Photos at a trial

I'm curious, what is your club's rule on non-club members taking photos (for their own use - ok my own use ) at a trial your club is hosting?

I went to 2 trials this fall, one I could take pictures and one I couldn't without each participants signed authorization.

Just curious.

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Photos at a trial

We don't have trials, but for any club event or training our current rule is that only members may take photos and they may not be published without permission (we don't always do this but typically it's the same two people taking pics and we know better than to post a really unflattering picture of someone or the dog, most people are grateful for pictures of their dog in action). Non-members may not take photos or videos. Currently, the only person who ever does video is our TD.

My personal take is that a trial is more of a "public" event and by entering you are opening you and your dog up for other people to see. However I would hope that people taking pictures use discretion. The photos I have seen on this board from members who do a lot of trials are from people who understand what they are seeing, ie they are not going to post a picture that creates a bad overall image of the dog and handler. It's possibly you could have someone who doesn't know what's going on or just just out to smear other people only share shots that give a bad impression.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

I've never gone to a trial where photo/video was not allowed. Training sessions can be different, if I take photos/video of someone elses dog I get permission to post or blue dot their face.

Betty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

People are welcome to take pictures/video at any of our trials

~~~~Julia~~~

Aidan v Haus Roemer (aka Drake)- BH, CGC, TT
Cremlin van Gogh - BH, OB1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I've never been to a trial where videos/photos weren't allowed, or some special authorization process was required. There's always a half dozen people running their cameras, and I've never seen any club, helper, judge or trial participant care.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Master Member

I could understand training, but in a trial you are putting yourself and your dog on public display. It is an event, both for the dog world and possibly for your own community, just like any other sporting event. If someone prevented a photo or video record of the event from being taken I could question their motives and what went on there. Frankly you are in public at a public venue, if a movie star can't stop their picture from being taken while on their own private beach, how can you stop people from taking pictures at a trial.

Kaiser SchH3 CGC TDI,
Nara CGC,
Wulf SchH1 P1 PD1 T1 URO2 CGC TT,
Raven SchH3 AWD2 PD1 P1 PA T1 UCD URO2 CGC TT,
Della SchHA TR1 PD1 P1 PA T1 URO2 CGC TT,
Heidi,
Jasmine
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like I should continue to take my camera and just make sure I have a place to store it safely if I bump into this at another trial.

I really just want to take pictures 'cause I love the dogs and photography and for my own experience!!

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

I would keep taking it! I've been to shows and even a trial where I was snapping pics on the side and was asked to come in the ring/field to take better pictures and offer them back to the club or sell them. When I do shows for 24K, only the "official" photographers can be in the ring, but that's more because there's a lot of people in the ring already and we need to have a good angle so we can guarantee stacked and gaiting shots of every dog without extra people in the way. No one cares if everyone else is taking pics on the side.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Elite Member

I actually took a class at work that covered this topic. Basically, as long as you are not going to use the photos commercially, you are pretty much safe.

If you want to get technical, this link that explains the legalities well.

http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/documents...ography.htm#3.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

^ I think it's also an issue of private property, not only the people involved. For example, if I invite you over to my house I can say you cannot take pictures of my stuff and my dogs. If I don't say anything, you can assume that you may, but if I explicitly say you may not, then it is not within your rights as a photographer to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page