Called the SchH club today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Called the SchH club today

Well I called the club today and found out some disappointing news. One of my dogs parents was from a showline kennel. I'm not sure about the sire yet. The club said it already looked bad, but is going to evaluate him on Friday morning.

What are the chance that a showline breed can perform SchH. Even though most showlines in his pedigree had at least an SchH 1. I know that cause they were German imports and I believe they at least have to have a SchH1.

Is there something that I can tell if my dog has a natural ability for it? If the club determines he doesnt have what it takes what are my options from there?

I'm pretty nervous now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Called the SchH club today

Relax, just because one of the parents comes from showlines doesn't mean your dog can't do it or doesn't have what it takes to do Schutzhund. You will have to have your dog tested to be certain.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718

Don't forget that in Europe even SHOW LINE dogs have to have a Schutzhund degree. I'd wonder @ a club that was that prejudiced against show lines that they dissed your dog before even giving him a chance.

One of the strongest dogs I ever owned was 1/2 US Show line and 1/2 German. She was hard, strong and nothing intimidated her. If the club doesn't like him, find another club and give him a chance. The only dog I'd rule out of training is one that's unstable.

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

Smile, breathe, and remember, it is FUN

My back yard bred, $125 dog got a "that's a nice dog" comment from a national/international level competitor when I took him to be tested.
So pedigree helps, but once you have your dog.... just enjoy!
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JesseWell I called the club today and found out some disappointing news. One of my dogs parents was from a showline kennel. I'm not sure about the sire yet. The club said it already looked bad, but is going to evaluate him on Friday morning.
Personally, I would find a different club. Anyone that judges a dog based on their parents without even SEEING it first is not someone I want to work with.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

That is why I love this website. I was all bummed out, but you guys made me look at it in a different way. I'm goint to take him out there Friday just to see what she says.

I'm worried though now. If she says yes, then what? Like you guys were saying, should i trust a club that speaks this way about the showlines? Or if she says no should I still get him reevaluated somewhere else?
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

You want to do SchH, learn and have fun. All you need is a dog with the basics drives.

If you tell me that your goal is to have a SchH III in the next couple of years and participate in the International level, then maybe it could be a bit disappointing.

Now... did you ask to the breeder and bought a 100% working lines pup with SchH in mind? Because in that case I'd indeed feel scammed, for the money I put for something that was not what I paid for. If you and the pup and later were interested in the sport... hay, that's the vast majority of people who starts!

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JesseThat is why I love this website. I was all bummed out, but you guys made me look at it in a different way. I'm goint to take him out there Friday just to see what she says.

I'm worried though now. If she says yes, then what? Like you guys were saying, should i trust a club that speaks this way about the showlines? Or if she says no should I still get him reevaluated somewhere else?
It depends on your availability of clubs. If it were a pet dog trainer or a vet, you can always have another to ask, but with SchH clubs... most of us have to work with what do we have...

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

I think before you go any further (farther?), you may want to define your goals first. Club level sport where you are simply going out to train to increase the bond, and may decide later as both you and your dog develop, if you wish to title? Or, are you seriously competition-minded, with intention to trial and title your dog? Find out if this is a club welcoming to & supportive of the goals that you have, then also the dog that you have.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Elite Member

Maybe that said that to temper your enthusiasm. Who knows? Who cares, There's a never ending supply of new people that get a dog and are so excited to do schutzhund and they have a showline that has titled parents and they are sure their puppy can do schutzhund only to find out that it has no drive to do anything, or at least not near what they expected when they were given the sales pitch.

it happens all the time. I know someone that tells almost every new person something similiar to what you were told, and this same guy will lay on the ground for months building the confidence of the most skittish of dogs, because he knows that people love their dogs and can only work with what they have.

he does it so it can maybe help the person mentally prepare for what they might experience after an evaluation. It doesn't take many people that have never trained a dog in any of this to show up thinking they have the best dog in the world only to find out it has nothing of what they were sold, and they don't believe it and they'll argue with you like the wrote the book on dog training and schutzhund, before you start to weed thru those people. Sometimes it's best if those people don't even show up.

But when the puppies do show potential, everyone is happy. But he doesn't just do this with showline dogs either. The facts remain, not every dog can do this sport. he also doesn't stop bringing each dog to the highest level he can either if the person is willing to put in the time to train.

In the end, I wouldn't not show up to a club because they told you your dog might not do the work. any honest club should tell you the same. at least go and experience it. and not matter what, you can always have a fun and great experience with any dog whether they can do schutzhund or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page