Winter Tracking? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Winter Tracking?

So now that the days are getting shorter, I am wondering how to fit in tracking practice during the week. Mornings are out of the question, and I work until 6:00 pm. By the time I get home, changed, and to the park it is almost 7:00 pm and dark. in a few more weeks even with the time change it will be dark before I get home.

What do you all do?

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 PM

Re: Winter Tracking?

I'm retired but many of the people I track with are not, so we meet Sat mornings at 9:30 and go until we're done. In the old days, when I was working, I used to work my dogs in the dark, often until 9 or 9:30 at night. It was the only way to get it done. It did make for a nice, unflappable dog, what with the rabbits, racoons, possums, deer, fox, coyotes and all. I don't know now, though, if I would be willing to do it. The cougar population is getting out of hand. So far, though, the bears are not a problem. If you are night tracking, though, I'd recommend a group, if at all possible. Good luck, khawk

khawk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Crowned Member

You can also go to local baseball field or park or school yard that is fairly well lit and lay traks there. I am not retired and I do track but I save it for the weekends in the winter time.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 AM
Crowned Member

Business parks and community colleges are great for tracking. Not your lush tracking, but available, sometimes lit, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 AM
Crowned Member

The other thing to think of. Friend of mine was a VP for EDS. She would take her National competition male to work. Do ob and tracking during breaks and lunch.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Crowned Member

I've been wondering the same thing. Currently I can't track in the morning, it's pitch black when I get up and leave. I've been tracking after work but now the light is getting shorter then too. And soon, it will snow.....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We typically slack off on the during the week tracking during the winter because like most people our work schedules mean when we have the time to track, it's dark. For the most part during the winter we just track on the weekends when we can get out during daylight. Though we have on occasion gone to a well lit industrial park/school/etc... in the evenings. We've also done some night tracking, but not much. Since the dogs are using their noses, it doesn't really affect them at all (and if it does you just identified a new little something to work on in training). Though the stumbling and bumbling humans benefit from carrying a flashlight.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Knighted Member

I've been thinking about this as well. Last winter was the first time I've been working and training and I don't remember it having too bad of an effect. I work 15 minutes from home with traffic so I was able to rush home, grab the dog and finish up the track right as it was getting dark. But I had to have everything ready to go ahead of time. Clothes laid out, end of track jackpot already in a bowl (raw dinner), food for actual track ready to go as well. I'll see how it goes this winter and probably end up asking my boss if I can come in an hour late and stay an hour late or come in an hour early and leave an hour early. By absolute pure coincidence about two months after I started in my position, we found out I know her brother because I've trained with him several times even though he lives a couple of states over. And she herself used to do schh. She asks about our training all the time. So she's very understanding of my crazy dog training.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Re: Winter Tracking? - Hand Held GPS

A club member of ours got out his hand held GPS device, and we used it a few times for tracking during the day at our club.... it shows you your track, the corners, and you can mark on there where the articles are dropped, and will also tell you distance (no more counting paces!!) For fun a few weeks ago, he took it with him and did some night tracking.... he was very happy with how his dog tracked in the dark, he recommended it to me. I was so impressed with this hand held GPS device, that I am going to get myself one for Christmas! It can remember up to 20 different tracks at a time (I lay at least 2 complicated tracks for my 2 dogs at each session), and is accurate within 10 ft, but in practice we found it to be much more accurate than that.... it showed when the person holding the device was only a few feet off the track. He bought it for use with his motorcycle trips, but it turns out it is also a handy little device for tracklayers

I don't know the details about what type of GPS to get (it's not the ones you typically would buy for your vehicle), but I will do more research and will be getting myself one for sure, I'm sold! Perfect for night tracking.

Dianne and Dogs

Blaze SADC SSGDC SAGDC SAADC VMADC VMJDC ExSt Bronze MSCDC, MGDC, MSDC, ATChC, Bronze Award of Merit, Cole, Arlo AD BH TEC SchH2 TD, SG-Eros TEC BH AD TD

Sara, Tess, forever in my heart
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:15 PM

Re: Winter Tracking? - Hand Held GPS

OOOOOOH!! I need one of those! I am terrible at marking my tracks lol. Luckily, I am fortunate to get a couple days off during the week so I try to squeeze in tracking there. Like others said though try to find someplace well lit even if it is to do something short.

Dianna
Argo vom Wildhaus SchH 3, AWD 1, P1, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Eris vom Wildhaus SchH 3,IPO3 P1, OAJ, OA, NF, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Isis vom Wildhaus KAB (kick-ass bitch)OB1, TR1, BH, CGC
Nova vom Wildhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page