SchH. Tracking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

SchH. Tracking

My dog Heidi and I are new to SchH. We've been tracking for a few months now and she loves it. I've gotten some conflicting information from members of my club on how to lay the track, so I thought I would post here to see what people think. I hope this makes sense...

When I lay the track I don't shuffle my feet, I do one footstep at a time. Then when Heidi tracks you can see her head bobbing from side to side for each footstep. Someone suggested that I shuffle more so she doesn't have that bobbing from side to side and she would be a little smoother. I had thought that the seeing her head move from side to side for each footstep was a good thing, is that wrong? Is it best to shuffle your feet or walk a little more normal?

Karen

Heidi Die Eitle Prinzessin,TR1, BH, CGC, TC - 06-16-06
Lucas Maly Medved, CGC - 08-27-08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: SchH. Tracking

Keep doing what you're doing. A dog who searches every footstep is ideal, as it will show the more consistent, methodical behavior that is being looked for, is less likely to change speed, cast, fringe track, or get lost.

As far as smoothness, I have heard many judges comment favorably on a dog doing the head-bob to search each step, and have never heard one comment negatively on it.

Also, in trial there will be no scuffing and shuffling of feet. The tracklayer will walk normally, just leaving footsteps. While scuffed in tracks are often used for young inexperienced dogs because they are easier, the dogs need to advance past that to work just footsteps. Since Heidi is already to the point of working footsteps, no reason to backtrack in training and teach her something she'd have to unlearn later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Master Member

I think "abbreviated" normal would be the proper method. I use a shorter than normal stride and vary the frequency of the food I lay on the track. At this point (7 month old pup) I also put food in and out of corners. I am going to begin to introduce articles soon.

I was taught that you want to see the dog tracking from step to step, nose to the ground and not casting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! From the beginning, I never trained her by shuffling my feet, we just started with food in the footsteps so that's what she knows. She's done well with it so far, now we just need to tackle those darn articles!!!

Karen

Heidi Die Eitle Prinzessin,TR1, BH, CGC, TC - 06-16-06
Lucas Maly Medved, CGC - 08-27-08
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Master Member

I could understand trenching the trail in if she was just learning but it looks like you are beyond that. Dont know why they suggested this....I would keep on doing what you are doing! Sounds like its working JUST fine!

Marie

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page