Question re: dog sports - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question re: dog sports

I am curious whether there are any dog sports that include protection but do not include tracking?

The reason I am asking is my rescue girl, Ronja (Malinois). Ronja does lovely obedience work and she does very nice bite work, but she doesn't seem to know at all how to track.

I don't know what sport she was trained in (if I did, that would probably answer my question), but she was seized by animal control for neglect from an owner who was using her for breeding. She's obviously been trained, but I don't think she was trained by this person, just bought by him for breeding purposes. He also had a trained male Malinois that he used for his breeding "program".

I don't know the registered names of either dog.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Question re: dog sports

Yes, the USA and SDA "Dog Sport" program is obedience and protection. SDA now has tracking but the P and PD titles are separate. Christine/umzilla would be the resident expert.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:48 PM

PSA-Protection Sports Assc.

http://www.psak9forum.com

This is the url for their forum.
Vikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Lots! When it comes to protection sports, SchH is the only one that *does* require tracking.

Service Dogs of America (SDA)/UKC Dogsport (one and the same until the end of 2009, then SDA looses UKC affiliation and no one is entirely sure what will happen). Currently SDA offers tracking titles through SDA, not UKC, but they are separate from the obedience/protection titles and not required for participation in the mainstream SDA/UKC Dogsport titles.

Many others:
French ring
Mondio ring
Belgian ring
KNPV (not much of this available in the US)
PSA
Campagne
K9 Pro Sports (not sure if this is still around??)
American Street Ring

The biggest problem with most of these is they are few and far between in terms of training groups. SchH is by far the most prolific, and thus easiest to get involved in.

Doesn't hurt to try teaching her to track, you may both enjoy it.

If not, in SchH you can do obedience only titles through USA and WDA. But not protection only.

DVG allows all 3 phases to be titled in separately. So you can do just tracking, just obedience or protection with any 1 of the other two, not both. Their protection titles do require you to trial in one of the other 2 phases as well, but you could do obedience and protection and skip tracking.

You can also do the SchHA, which is SchH1 obedience and protection, no tracking, through any of the SchH organizations. But no farther, except through DVG where you could get to the 3 level in obedience and protection, skipping tracking, through their protection titles.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I wish I knew what she was trained in and/or what level training she had.

The only thing for certain is that she LOVES that bite sleeve and LOVES getting that bite, no matter how much pressure is put on her. You could simultaneously fire a gun and whack her with a stick, and she would have a death grip on that sleeve. (Remembering, of course, that she has NO front teeth and four filed-down canines!)

There is not much in terms of dog sports in my area. There is a SchH club about 2.5 hours south near Syracuse. Beyond that, there is the local kennel club which offers only Rally Obedience and conformation in terms of training, with $150 membership fee per year plus class fees. Not really sure Rally-O is that interesting to me, though both my girls would probably do fine in it.

At the moment, we're stuck training at home and with people from the K-9 unit on base (who have been GREAT, actually, and occasionally kick us out usable sleeve covers for free).

-
-

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Crowned Member

How old is Ronja? Kenya will be 6 in Oct and she just did her first track on Sunday! She will never do protection but I'm training her again, for tracking and obedience, just to gain more experience since she is such a different dog than Nikon. She's already done the FO and OB1 for Dog Sport.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She's 5.

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page