Perspective - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Perspective

Just taking some to think about this dog training addiction I have fallen into.
I started SchH 3.5 years ago with Nandi. This last summer after a lot of hard work, we earned our schH1 at a club trial. We aren't National caliber, or anything special. I don't know if he can earn a 2 or 3. But I need to remember why I am doing this sport.

I am doing it for my dog and the joy we get out there together. Period.He's hasn't reached his potential and neither have I.

Its easy to get caught up with the competition and methods to achieve a goal and have a goal, but isn't the journey what its all about? I can lose perspective.

So reader, what keeps you in the game? What is your motivation for dog sports?

I am 100% dedicated to him, just as I was to my previous GSD Sita. Part of this thinking is because I am getting a new puppy. Yes with the hopes of training in protection sports and I know that Nandi will not get as much of my time. But I hope it will be quality time and we can continue our training journey.

Sarah

"Sita" Rosewoods Hot Tamale CD 2/6/00~3/26/08
"Nandi" Celhaus Rama Ring of Fire IPO 1, AKC TD, CGC 12/18/2004
Pele vom Landschaft IPO 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Perspective

Well, I have just stepped into the "world of dog sports" this past April when my puppy was born.

I knew that I wanted to spend some good quality time with him over his life, doing the things that he would enjoy.

Right now we are dabbling in a few different areas (Tracking, OB, Schutzhund and Agility) and I think we have found a couple that we both enjoy.

My motivation is my dog. When we are participating in something and I can see him truly enjoying it, that is what keeps me doing it.

He LOVES tracking so that is something that we will be keeping up with, he loves to please and be RIGHT NEXT TO ME so we are also working on OB as this will only enhance our bond further, and we have yet to try Schutzhund (will be next week) but if he enjoys that too we will be following up with that.

I just want him to have a full, healthy, happy, love-filled life with me.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

When both dogs were younger I did a lot of obedience trials. Unlike many folks, I was doing it for fun, for the fun the dogs and I got out of it. We blew many trials - different variations of different screw ups. It seems each time we placed our score was lower but our placing was higher. I just do better with a sense of humor. I watched people be really nasty to their dogs because they weren't doing well enough - it was like their ego got all caught up in the score.
After BTE got her CD, a judge nicely allowed us in a fun match. Watching my dog (who had barked from her crate - a first for her - throughout BTY's turn), she remarked "She adores you!" That is what I work for. That attitude on the part of the dog & I.
I work for things like putting my dog in a down stay at the curb, walking up to a porch to leave a key I found, having a cat run across the porch and having the dog remain in the stay. It's better when people are watching of course. Another triumph was having BTE in an off lead stand stay with a bunny messing in the bushes. She knew the bunny was there before I did but she held her stay.
Our sport now is striving for perfectly textured poop and a degree of bladder control. We're both happy when it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 11:22 PM
dOg
Elite Member

Someone asked me "when will you be done training your dog?" not understanding we had what she thought of as trained down cold before we started...I just said,"Until we aren't having fun."

No sign of that happening anytime soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Quote:So reader, what keeps you in the game? What is your motivation for dog sports?
The dogs. I love the German Shepherd Dog and I love working with these fantastic creatures. They have always been my motivator.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Banned

My motivation is the huge financial prizes you win in obedience trials! Heh! Heh!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: codmasterMy motivation is the huge financial prizes you win in obedience trials! Heh! Heh!
OOooohh yeah! BTE did win some cool stuff once.

I guess in part I thought a three-legged dog would be better than a no legged dog....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page