Buying a Fur Saver - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Buying a Fur Saver

We are buying a fur saver for Bison SchH. I have some questions about options.

- There is a brass option that I think would look cool against his black fur. What are the pros and cons of brass?
- Should we get short or regular link? Or doesn't it matter. I see that some lengths are only available in one or the other.
- Also, we are confused about how to measure him for the collar. The instructions say to "measure the width of the dog's neck and add 2 - 3 inches." Do they mean the circumference? Using a flexible tape measure pulled tight against his neck, it measures 20 inches. Does that mean we should buy a 22 or 23 inch?

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 PM

Re: Buying a Fur Saver

We have a brass and a stainless. I like the brass one for Argos since he has darker fur. They do need to be cleaned to keep them shiny. Otherwise I think it's just preference.

Anka has a short link. She's got a long skinny neck. I think these look nice on dogs with more slender proportions. I have usually seen them on Malinois. A very heavy collar could be sort of visually unappealing on a finer dog. Argos has the regular links.

Yes they mean circumference. You need to make sure you can get it over the dog's head and ears. When I was unsure of the right measurement I took my dog's nylon collar and adjusted it until I could slid it over his head, then I just undid it and measured it.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RuthieWe are buying a fur saver for Bison SchH. I have some questions about options.

- There is a brass option that I think would look cool against his black fur. What are the pros and cons of brass?

Advantage: Looks cool against his black fur.
Disadvantage: None

- Should we get short or regular link? Or doesn't it matter. I see that some lengths are only available in one or the other.

That again is up to personal preference. I find that the regular, heavier link looks more Macho, the short more refined on a female, or smaller dog. Depending on the size of the fingers of the handler, one can be more or less prone to getting their fingers caught in the links. I have short link fur savers and I have large hands and get my fingers caught a lot - I don't like to use a fursaver for that reason. Though I have seen micro-link fur savers with the links too small for any finger to get caught in them.

- Also, we are confused about how to measure him for the collar. The instructions say to "measure the width of the dog's neck and add 2 - 3 inches." Do they mean the circumference? Using a flexible tape measure pulled tight against his neck, it measures 20 inches. Does that mean we should buy a 22 or 23 inch?

You are right, they mean the circumference of your dog's neck. 22 or 23 inch should be the correct size for Bison (great name, by the way!)

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

It occured to me that I have never posted a picture of Bison. Here he is...so based on the last few posts I am thinking the large links would look best because he is a big boy. Your thoughts?

[img][/img]

Amy
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:20 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Waaa!!! He IS a Bison!!! LOL!

Very Handsome boy! I like the big link better for looks, I agree they would look better on him.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Crowned Member

My Boy is mostly Black I have a stainless on him and looks so good

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Color/material is just personal preference. Kaiser has a brass one, but I've found it has dulled and corroded a bit with age. They need regular polishing to keep them looking sharp, at least the one we have does (it's a HS). The rest of the dogs have stainless. If I were to buy new fur savers, I'd probably go with currogan. I actually want to get a couple currogan pinch collars to when we need to replace some pinches. Very neat looking color, and from what I've been told they don't seem to dull and corrode like the brass can.

For Bison, big or small link doesn't matter, though I think big link would look better. But do make sure to get heavier gage links, not the really thin ones.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

I think that the price pretty much reflects the quality. So far I've used cheaper fursavers since Nikon was growing so fast. I want a curogan one, I've been told those are the best but also the most expensive. I also want the curogan prong. When I win the lottery, lol...

I finally found a 25" HS Fursaver at a petstore so I bought it but now I can't find it, grrrr! I need a bigger one (the one I have on Nikon is a 21" with smaller links and it's getting hard to get off plus for shows they use very large, loose ones) but hate paying $12 for a collar and $5 for shipping.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

In case you haven't seen a curogan one on a dog, here are a couple of pics. If you belong to a SchH club, I would see if a club member would let you try their fur saver on YOUR dog.

Your guy looks like he has a decent sized head. The one on Siren in the pics is a 21 inch and it is too small. I can just BARELY sqeeze it on over her head. So SHE really needs a 23inch herself.

Here is a close up:

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Love the curogan (and love Siren! Her coloring is really cool). Hopefully DH didn't place the order yet or can cancel. JKlatsky, thanks for the tip on measuring. I measured with the flat collar and I could easily slip it over his head at 21". That didn't sound right, so I remeasured his neck where his flat collar sits and it was 18". So based on that I should buy a 21" right?

Does that sound right for big headed Bison? Or did I made a mistake.

Amy
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page