Fuss question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Fuss question

We have been working on fuss. When I give the command, Bison runs around behind me then sits on my left side. But, he is very "enthusiastic". When I give the command, he barks twice before he gets into position. Is he allowed to do that? If not, how do I get him to stop?

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Re: Fuss question

I would discourage it. It became a problem in our dogs as they got older and their drives kept developing and getting higher. If your dog is a natural vocalizer then as you put more drive into your work you will get more noise.

For me, I ended up with a screamer when he would load in the down, and he would vocalize in the motions, and it almost turned into a left side bark and hold with the retrieves. I didn't know what I was doing...and I was glad for the enthusiasm...but I definitely got hit in points because they would have liked to see the exercises "more calm".

I ended up having to rework his attitude in a lot of my basic positions to tone him down...So if you can start to work against it now I would. Don't kill him...one or two barks isn't going to make too much difference...just don't let it escalate.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Fuss question

If you don't want the dog to escalate, accept NO barking.

I had a problem with my girl barking not during obedience but during herding. You know that old adage...give them an inch, they take a mile!

To solve the problem, whenever she barked (even a lil peep), I said nothing, calmly put the leash back on, and put her away. After 15-20 QUIET minutes in the crate, I brought her back out again. I had to do this a bunch of times but she got the message. Barking during working = fun time ends.

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page