Dealing with the public. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Dealing with the public.

I am very new to Schutzhund. Just 4 weeks. Last night, I went to the local park to work on tracking. While I was laying out scent boxes, a woman walked by with 2 GSDs. I said hello and through brief conversation, mentioned what I was doing. She said that her one dog had a tracking title and the other was working on it. I mentioned that we just started doing SchH. She replied, "Well! WE wouldn't do something like THAT. We don't want any mean dogs!" Then she walked off.

I was so taken off guard. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. My dog is a complete sweetie! In fact, last time we worked, he left the field with the sleeve and dropped it so he could greet all the club members before going to the car. We have a hard time getting him to focus during tracking because he wants to see what the people are doing. This sport is making him so vicious!

It was one of those situations where I WISH I would have said something back to her, but I was just too irritated. So, my question is... What do you say to comments like that?

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Dealing with the public.

I would just roll my eyes and let her go, and then mutter under my breath, "well WE don't need any idiots like you!"

Luckily, around here no one knows what SchH is unless they are doing it themselves, so if people ask, I get to control what they know about it. I generally describe it very vaguely and always emphasize that it's three phases, not the "attack dog training" people are thinking of.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Crowned Member

Really, nothing. Just let it go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

What can you say to comments like that? It's hard to argue with ignorance. My understanding, and I know nothing about Schutzhund, is the dogs have better obedience. I would let it go...after I laughed myself silly.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

I would (and do) explain the reason for the sport, the lady obviously said it out of ignorance and would be better informed after an explanation.
Many people have no clue what it is about.
At the UKC Premier event there were hundreds of the general public attending. The sportwork was in the wayback so you'd only see it if you ventured out there, the wandering crowd may believe it is abuse/or creating a vicious dog and leave with their un-informed opinions, when they see the bitework or courage tests.
Now UKC has eliminated this from their affiliation, probably due to a few who have no clue, spouting their opinions.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

It is frustrating isn't it??? And this from someone who has Shepherds, and has titled them.

I ran into a very similar situation recently where an active breeder/ competitor made the comment that people who do schutzhund are stupid, and putting sick-em-dog-trainers in the same category.
Could not think of a good response either.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Those who can do. Those who can't don't get it.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:37 PM

Unfortunately ignorance is not a crime. You cannot change a persons preconceived notions in a chance encounter. People will hold to what they either believe or are taught and usually defend it with a passion. You could have shown her your wonderfully well adjusted confident friend but alas it would most likely lead to a waste of your time and your dogs vauable training time. The best you could ever hope is that she would become interested in arguing and it would lead her to research the sport and learn for herself. The public in general will always have doubts concerning things they don't fully understand until they want to be educated. This woman most likely would not want to know the facts. Good luck with the tracking and keep your chin up and your dogs nose down.

Owner of two class A felons err...dogs
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I rarely tell people what I do though I have found the general public far more open to learning than most dog people. If people ask I just tell them I am doing obedience or tracking and leave it at that. My neighbors that stop in out of curiosity, I always explain what we do and let them meet the dogs before they watch the protection. We also have done demo's for 4-H groups to help educate people about our dogs and our sport. This is the best way to deal with ignorance.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Crowned Member

Do you think its possible that attitudes like this which coincides with the AKC view of Sch is the reason the American dog is what it is today?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page