Schutzhund puppy video - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Schutzhund puppy video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aO0ayIefBg

This was intense to watch! She was so proud every time she got the rag!

Is this considered normal training for a 12 week old puppy? I looked up their website too. http://www.starkepfoten.com/ Not familiar with them, but fascinated

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Schutzhund puppy video

The comments pretty well sum it up. Not abnormal. gets pup used to unsure footing, use to hands/sticks coming over etc.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

i've seen this one before but, it is very interesting to watch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDTraini've seen this one before but, it is very interesting to watch!
It showed up in the "recommended for me" video section so I took a look at it! I thought it was really interesting to see such a young dog have such focus. I guess thats what is meant by high drive? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angela_WThe comments pretty well sum it up. Not abnormal. gets pup used to unsure footing, use to hands/sticks coming over etc.
Very interesting. I had never seen such a young puppy in training before.

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

K, noob disclaimer here, but at least from what I have seen and experienced so far, I wouldn't really call it normal or abnormal. I didn't do all that with my puppy and don't know anyone who did, but if you know what you're doing it's not going to hurt. Key phrase there being "if you know what you're doing." I didn't, so whacking my puppy or even pretending to hit it and drive it would have been just plain stupid for me to do. I didn't do a lot of ragwork either, and actually just started using tugs as rewards and for obedience (my puppy is now 12 months) because again, I didn't really know what I was doing and in that case, best to not do anything than screw up your dog's grip or accidentally give him a really bad experience.

To me, it's "normal" to take any new pup out and get it used to as many things as possible, but for me that is more broad than just SchH stuff like ragwork, getting stick hits, etc. I took my puppy all over to lots of places with lots of sounds, smells, and textures.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to sunfluer

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Interesting video but not into it really. Guess I'm too soft on my dogs. </span>

Barbara

DOG spelled backwards is GOD - no small wonder dogs are humans best friend.

Snickers aka Buddy Boy, (Lab)
5/97 - 7/10/09
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Master Member

This is generally how the puppies that are destined for SchH are brought up at my club, it seems to build very intense drive for the rag and eventually the sleeve, as well as get them used to being touched all over and being around the sticks. I think if I ever got a pup from a breeder specifically for trialing in SchH I would put him through that at a young age too.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to sunfluer

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I understand. Looking at the video it seems there were times he was stroking the pup. I have no experience with the technique, it seems harsh but it's probably not. The pup didn't seem to mind whatsoever. In fact, the pup was probably enjoying it. I can see where the idea in part is desensitizing so there's no fear.</span>

Barbara

DOG spelled backwards is GOD - no small wonder dogs are humans best friend.

Snickers aka Buddy Boy, (Lab)
5/97 - 7/10/09
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Master Member

Wow that pup has excellent focus and seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself.
My only concern is the lifting off the ground when so young because of the puppy teeth. I do see at times he supports the pups body against his leg but many times he is not and swinging...not an expert on canine canines but would seem not the best thing on developing teeth? anyone know more about that then me? chime in...

But I really liked all the conditioning that was being done on a pup so young....that should be one tough dog!

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Crowned Member

The reason he can do all those things with this puppy is genetics. The pedigree on all the breeding stock at that kennel is very sound. What he is doing with that puppy really has little to do with "high drive" and everything to do with solid nerves. Look at the puppy's body language, tail wagging, no stress. Nice puppy.
In looking at the website, I noticed that their sire, Kanto is not only a high DRIVE national Sch competitor, but he SETTLES in the house real nice with the family. How is that possible when all I've been told on this forum is about these high drive dogs you can't live with.....must be a mistake!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page