New to Schutzhund - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

New to Schutzhund

Hello,

I have several questions, so my first will be to let everyone know that I'm interested in starting Schutzhund with a pup that has yet to be acquired or even born probably. I know several people on this board live in the Montgomery County MD area, so I was hoping to get some information on local clubs, and or areas that I may watch some training. I only know what I have read about the sport, so I would like to watch some people in action before making any final decisions. Also, I would like to meet some people that will be able to offer advice when I get into the sport so that the pup can be successful.

Currently I have a two year old male GSD, very laid back, a little nervous. He has not shown any dominance issues at all and gets along great with all the dogs in our neighborhood. I'm interested in gettting another male, so I was hoping to get some advice on if that is smart or is a female the only way to go.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM

Re: New to Schutzhund

I don't know about Schutzhund however, I have had 2 males together a few times without any issues. We had my current male meet the new pup at the breeders before bringing him home & the breeder also told us we should bring him back if the two had any issues at all.

Jen
Mom to:
Forrest, Golden Retriever, born 2/02
Jackson, GSD, born 10/22/08
Sundae, cat, born 4/25/95
Magnum, GSD, 5/94 - 2/09
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

From the way you described you're male's temperament, you probably won't have any issues. Most likely any dog you'd get that is picked out specifically for SchH will end up taking the more dominant role of the 2 dogs once mature, but it sounds like you're current male would be ok with that. While male/female pairings are always safest, male/male can usually work ok especially if it's not 2 dominant males and there is good management and leadership by the owners. Female/female pairings are always the most risky.

You're also doing the right thing by learning about SchH and getting hooked up with clubs before getting a pup. This will get you on the right track by allowing you to make a more educated choice on whether or not SchH is something you really want to pursue long term, and will also allow you to see many different dogs of different temperaments working and the chance to talk to their owners, and get a better idea of what traits you do and do not want in your pup. Both of those things will be very valuable in your puppy search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Elite Member

One suggestion ~ visit as many clubs as you can

Here is the list for the local USA clubs.

http://northeasternregion.homestead.com/club.html

There are also some DVG affiliated clubs around this area that may be worth visiting, look under North Region

http://www.dvgamerica.com/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Depending on the temperament of the individuals, you may be ok with a male - but a female would be better 99% of the time....that being said, I know that my Basha pups have all been fine in same sex households - and in other litters I have had, I know that there would be both scenerios....some pups fine with same sex, others - no way! It depends more on the individual than anything! My current male pup would probably be fine with another male, but my female I would probably say no other females...

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page