Getting a second schutzhund puppy..thoughts? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Getting a second schutzhund puppy..thoughts?

Nandi just earned his schH 1 and my goal for him is to earn schH 3, meaning I am working hard at his training toward this goal. If the planets align and the litter I put a deposit on works out, I will be getting a pup for schutzhund (a male). Nandi is neutered and 4 years old.
My plan is to keep the pup separate from Nandi for about two weeks before supervised short interactions. Nandi is not around many puppies- recently anyway. I am a bit concerned about his reaction to the pup and my reaction to his reaction. He grew up with a female in the house and I rotated them in the crates. My female was not friendly to him as a pup at all so I had to keep them strictly separated in the house for a long time and would only walk them together. Only when Nandi was older (12 months or so) were they ever out together in the house. No inside dog play or horse play allowed. I ran a tight ship. The diferrence was that my female was just a pet and she did not do schH or any other sports.

Any general guidelines that people who have brought in another working pup to their household can share?

Sarah

"Sita" Rosewoods Hot Tamale CD 2/6/00~3/26/08
"Nandi" Celhaus Rama Ring of Fire IPO 1, AKC TD, CGC 12/18/2004
Pele vom Landschaft IPO 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Master Member

Re: Getting a second schutzhund puppy..thoughts?

I brought pups into my home with an adult dog. There is a lot of supervision involved, and the buffer period is a good idea. In my personal case I found that once the pack leader accepted the pup, the pack did the same. I always mixed genders, never two males or females.

My issue now is to supervise the horseplay, since I don't want the adult dog dominating or rolling the pup. I think that play is a great way for the pup to burn energy, you just have to supervise.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Getting a second schutzhund puppy..thoughts?

He should be ok with the puppy. Ultro does NOT like other male dogs, but he is great with Aslan. I did like you, didn't introduce them until a few weeks after I brought Aslan home. They are now only together for short periods of times 2 or 3 times a week. Other than that, the puppy is away from my other dogs.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page