10 week puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

10 week puppy

Looking to get our 10 week old into Schutzhund when he's of the right age. What can we be starting at his age now? He is picking things up super quick like create training and potty outside.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Amanda

Smile always.
Recon von Haus Juris, GSD - 5/31/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

Re: 10 week puppy

I would talk with the breeder your pup came from.. She used to be involved in SchH and I believe still gives classes at her facility?

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

She does and we are going to start with her puppy course in a few weeks. What I'm trying to make sure is that now we are doing all we can to prepare him

Amanda

Smile always.
Recon von Haus Juris, GSD - 5/31/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM

I don't know what others think, but at 10 weeks its still early to determine based on the temperaments and health. First of all, it really depends on the hips and elbows. I would wait until he's old enough to take a prelim Hip and Elbow X-ray before determining if SchH is ok.

But, its never too eary to start your GSD on the right path. I too have a puppy who's 16 weeks old now and starting at 8 weeks, the following day he came home, we started playing tugs, focusing, light running around, and hiding goody treats so he can find them. Most of the things in schH can be done or practice at very early age but one needs patience (reminding myself.. LOL). Besides agilities and attack/protection works, all other can be trained as a game at young age.

Socializing, both humans and dogs are a must as well to get the puppy used to being around spectators and dogs of different types around him.

I might add that when the puppy starts to bark, DO NOT scold him. This is because there you do want him to bark. But instead, encourage for rightful barking and ignoring barks to get your attention.

Good luck..

Dan
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM

I agree. Start working on getting your pup exposed to as many new experiences as possible. I took mine to the park, played in the sand, climbed on rocks, placed her up on park benches, took her to Petsmart and Petco as often as possible... Socialization and new experiences are really key to a stable dog later in life (all other things being equal of course... breeding, temperment, etc)

As far as getting ready for SchH... Like the previous poster mentioned, work on building focus, do some puppy "scent boxes" out in the yard to develop the tracking instincts, play lots of tug (remember that pup doesn't win without a full grip... help him get a full grip if needed... but let him win a lot). You can work on imprinting the foose with a hot dog having pup walk alongside you and sliding the hot dog out of your curled hand like a push-up or lipstick...

I think the best thing is to find a good SchH club so that they can show you what all this stuff means. They can also judge pup's personality and help you tailor these things to your pup.

Most important of all is to make things fun... fun... FUN!!!! Don't make a big deal out of negative experiences, just move on... act like a bloomin' idiot when pup does something right or has a positive experience. Keep it fun!

Krylos
SG Echo vom Wildhaus - SchH3/IPO3 (14x), USCA GSD Nats (2x), USCA WDC (2x)
Alpha vom Haus Herru
VP Ansgar vom Haus Herru
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

10 weeks is never too early to start any kind of training. if you ask me, the sooner you start with the bite work, the better.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: TechnostormI don't know what others think, but at 10 weeks its still early to determine based on the temperaments and health. First of all, it really depends on the hips and elbows. I would wait until he's old enough to take a prelim Hip and Elbow X-ray before determining if SchH is ok.
so your saying that he shouldnt be started until he's about 15 months old?? prelims dont mean s**t.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

Let your puppy be a puppy! Training's OK but prepping for Schutzhund at 10 weeks????? All I'd say is don't squelch the drives.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Crowned Member

Let the pup be a pup, but if you know you are going to have this pup active in SchH then of course there is foundation work, so you don't "squelch the drives".
Leesa, Dan and Krylos advice is great I'd like to add- build up the pups confidence level by not correcting but redirecting behaviors you do not want. And put the pup in his crate if he gets to be too much instead of reprimanding him.
On the subject of prelims, it is good to get a look at an early age 6+ mos, so you do no damage if there are questionable x-rays. Though I would not wait til the prelims have been done to start the pup on training for the sport.
The TD at my club didn't want the puppies to do much in the way of tug, til he was sure we were getting deep bites, not outing. calm grips are important,too. He wanted to be sure the pups were getting it right(along w/ the novice handlers) We have about 6 pups the same age in my club and most of the owners are new to the sport. I had been going for about a year, but Onyx was a wash in protection so I had to wait for my pup. We started going when the pups were about 12 weeks:

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

Jane WHAT A DOLL BABY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page