Report to judge - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Report to judge

My dog will be 12 months Sept. 7 so I probably won't be able to do a BH yet this fall b/c the min age is 15 months, right? That would be Dec. 7 and I don't know if Michigan has trials that late. However there is a Dog Sport trial Sept. 26 and I think the minimum age for the FO is 12 months (please correct me if I'm wrong). I would like to train for this because I need some sort of goal, doing the BH in the spring seems so far away! Anyway, at this point our biggest challenge would simply be the report to the judge. Kenya was never a problem, since the first day I got her she wouldn't look twice at a strange dog 5 feet away, but Nikon can be more reactive and snarky at such close range. Any tips on how to train the report to the judge? Do you actually practice that exercise, or do you find that as the dog progresses and works obedience in drive he simply doesn't care about the other dog anymore? We usually train a few dogs at a time during obedience and Nikon has been practicing long downs within 10 feet of another dog but having to heel right next to a strange dog as the very first exercise kinda scares me! Obviously I will ask the TD and set up this exercise at club training, but I'm wondering how others like to practice for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Report to judge

You are on the right track, pick an experienced non reactive dog to practice with, take the left position so you can turn you dog away if you need to. Start with the dogs pretty far apart, and work up to normal report position, be sure to practice having someone look at his ear tatoo as well. And try to practice with different people acting as a judge, as well as different dogs. You should be able to condition this fairly quickly.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:43 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I had the same concerns and worries with Keeta for her BH. And yes, I practiced heeling her near and around other dogs, a lot. We practiced heeling side-by-side, with other handler teams, and one dog in front of another, and practiced going over reporting in with different people. You don't have to practice that with your TD, anyone at your club, or any vict . . . er, friend can help you out acting like they are the judge.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Castlemaid You don't have to practice that with your TD, anyone at your club, or any vict . . . er, friend can help you out acting like they are the judge.

Devin-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The cat's have profiles too, look in her family.
Tiny One Mewer (Tom)-Chartreux 4/3/01
Nico-DSH Tabby 4/13/08
Shai-DMH Torti Tabby 8/26/08
Rescues.
PLEASE ALTER YOUR PETS!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Why are you in such a hurry? Train the dog. Deal with his issues with other dogs and when he is ready you trial. You can never train for every possible scenario that might come up in a trial so just train your dog. Then the rest won't matter.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 AM

You would train it like you would with any distraction.

When you report in, your dog should be under command for Fuss, no looking away and eyes glued on you. If other dogs are a major distraction then you work up to it. We put our dogs in a big group of people in position at the left asking for attention, the people crowd us, touch the dog, etc. The goal is for the dog not to break attention. This also works well for us in regards to the tattoo check because the judge can check the ear without the dog breaking position and attention. We also heel next to other dog/handler teams and practice reporting in.

If you can get your attention very solid then he shouldn't even look at the other dog.

I would say one of the biggest problems people have (and this is myself included!) is getting your dog to snap into drive off the field and maintain it onto the field. I know I had the habit in training of bringing my dog out onto the field out of drive and THEN starting obedience. So when I did my BH, I said Fuss (my dog didn't really) walked onto the field (poorly) and when we got to the judge he broke position to visit the judge.

Fortunately...We downed first and that snapped his brain into OB mode and we did just fine, but it was something we fixed and knew to change. You can see the difference when we did Anka's BH...this is during the critique but it's the same principle.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: lhczthWhy are you in such a hurry? Train the dog. Deal with his issues with other dogs and when he is ready you trial. You can never train for every possible scenario that might come up in a trial so just train your dog. Then the rest won't matter.
Agree with Lisa on this. Build your foundation. Trial in the spring and focus on what your real goal is. Is it just the BH or further SCH titling?

I have been taught and Gabor does this as well. If your goal is SCH3, train for that and take the time. Let the dog develop and mature; learn a solid foundation so you will not have to go backwards later

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Elite Member

That is so true and a wonderful advice. I've noticed just from my not so extensive experience that if the good foundation and relationship is there it's so fast and easy to build anything on top of that and training is going very smooth.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Knighted Member

I agree with Lisa. I guess it depends on what your goals are (me personally that's for my dog to be the best he is capable of being, if that's club level that's great, if it's world level that's equally great) but one of the different things about schutzhund when compared to other dog sports is that it takes SO long to correctly get a title. I've got people asking how old Flash is and what titles he has and then they say oh so he'll be ready for the 1 this fall, 2 and 3 in the spring, nationals next year and then they look at me like I have 5 eyes, not just 3, when I say we are NOWHERE near ready for the 1 and he's never so much as seen a dumbell. I don't even own one. There's no reason to rush. I really don't understand those who think a dog needs to have a 1 before it's even 2. Heck I don't understand timelines at all. There is no timeline. It's when the dog and handler are ready. If you rush and get sloppy titles, what do you have to do after the 3? You have to clean up everything, lots more training, and there will probably be things you can't clean up. So what the dog has its 3 but it sure isn't trained. It may do the routine but it's not trained. Big difference. I see more dogs with 3's that I don't want my dog to be like than those I do want him to be like, and more often than not the handlers think it's some amazing accomplishment that they finished the titles before the dog turned 3. My .02.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: jesusica If you rush and get sloppy titles, what do you have to do after the 3?
Well, you can start breeding your dog, he's SchH 3 and proved his worthiness to propagate ... Isn't that what all the rush is about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page