Sleeve preferences - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Sleeve preferences

My husband got certified as a helper a couple of weeks ago at basic level and we're in the market for a good sleeve. Our TD has and recommended the Schweikert 9540, which is not made anymore (his has the number engraved on the cuff... he's had it for a long time, I guess they put on stickers now).

Here's what we're considering based on what I have been reading online on working dog forums and so forth... kind of wanted to get feedback if you've used any of these. We're looking for something that's mostly for training but can be used at a trial.

http://www.dogsportgear.com/bite_bar_trial_sleeves.htm

Schweikert 5980 or 5984

http://www.hallmarkk9.com/gappaytrialsleeve-soft.aspx

Gappay soft trial sleeve

http://www.totalk-9.com/index.php?page=s...uemart&Itemid=3

Eurosport trial sleeve

<Insert witty sig>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Sleeve preferences

Our club uses bende sleeves and covers

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Those are the ones sold by Elite K9 right? I read somewhere that they were pretty hard but is there one you'd recommend, specifically?

<Insert witty sig>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

One suggestion I would have would be for hubby to try on several different brands of sleeves, and ideally work a dog or two in them, before buying one. Different brands of sleeves are shaped somewhat differently with different barrel lengths, widths, and angles of the handle. So size (length and circumference of arm) as well as what hand position is most natural and comfortable in terms of the handle, can make a BIG difference with regard to what sleeve works for any individual person.

For example, we have a Schweikert 80 and 82. One of our helpers loves the 80, but ends up with scraped knuckles and raspberries if he works a dog in the 82, because of the way it fits his arm.

The angle of the handle (and thus of the bite bar presentation) on different models can be an issue. One angle may be perfect for one person, making a correct presentation easy, whereas that angle is just wrong for another person, making them have to consciously think about presenting the bitebar at the right angle because the way they generally hold their hand doesn't work well for that sleeve.

I personally love the Gappay, and on the occasions I work dogs our 10yo Gappay is far and away my favorite. But Gappay doesn't seem to be as durable as Schweikert and overall I think the Schweikert sleeves are made better than Gappay.. but the Schweikert handle angle is just wrong for me so I don't like using them.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Crowned Member

Looks like elite k9, but they removed the labels and put their own. I buy from Danny, http://www.itbitez.net/servlet/StoreFront

our TD used to sell Bende yrs ago, Danny has the line now.

I agree with Chris, there are many diff. kinds. A trial sleeve is diff. from a training sleeve or a puppy sleeve.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Anyone know if the the 9580 and the 5980 are the same? If they are, that's what we'd buy because my husband LOVES the 9580.

<Insert witty sig>
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Never heard of a 9580. I have a feeling it's a 5980 with a typo.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

That's what I was thinking but I asked our TD to confirm and he said 9580 when I emailed him yesterday. A typo engraved on the cuff though? I emailed Schweikert so hopefully they'll tell me if it's just a typo or if the 5980 is it. Too bad I can't look at the sleeve without the cover to see if it's the same one. My hubby really likes it though.

<Insert witty sig>
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Both Elite K9 and itbizs are Bende.

You can tell, as there is the Hungarian flag sewn on the inside....

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Crowned Member

Both Elite K9 and itbizs are Bende.

You can tell, as there is the Hungarian flag sewn on the inside....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page