Helper Seminar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
dOg
Elite Member

Helper Seminar

Yesterday we attended a <span style="color: #3333FF">Helper Seminar</span> in Saginaw under Teaching Helper
A.J. Slaughter III.

Enjoy the pics. Thanks to everyone, and all the dogs who participated!
Folks came from far away places in surrounding states to get their butts kicked all day
to be able to help others learn and train in Schutzhund.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Re: Helper Seminar

Cool!!! Some of those dogs REALLY got a work out!! But I'm sure all the helpers did too!

Looks like it was a HOT day.

This is my favorite pic: I just love the intensity, seriousness, and the rippling muscles of the dog as he gathers him(her?)self to launch.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
dOg
Elite Member

It's a her, she's 5 and came all the was from Decatur,IL to munch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

Awesome! Was that at AJ's place? We went there last summer with Kenya (we were the only people not from his club) and they were all very nice.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LiesjeAwesome! Was that at AJ's place? We went there last summer with Kenya (we were the only people not from his club) and they were all very nice.
Yes, Mr. Slaughter taught us a great deal. He is very passionate about what he does, and there are three keys to success with Mr. Slaughter in regards to Helper work 1.) Safety, 2.) Safety, and 3.) Safety

That is me in the photo above, and I am a very green...but, I have been working my backside off the past year and now I am very proud to say, I am a Certified USA Helper. I still can't believe it!!!

Don't get the wrong idea, I am not rushing off to work a trail....I am just not that good, and have much more to learn. I simply wanted to contribute more to my club. Last summer we had only one Helper, and I felt bad watching him work his butt off for the benefit of me and my GSD. I figured the best way to contribute was to learn enough so I could at least provide him with some opportunity for a break.

All day under Mr. Slaughters direction, all I could think about was....don't jam a dog, don't hurt someone's dog. I am happy to report that I met my goals and although I got knocked on my butt twice by a freight train disguised as a GSD, I did not jam or hurt anyone's pup, while at the same time I learned more in one day than I thought possible.

Thank you Mr. Slaughter!

Wayne

PS, if you ever think about training with AJ Slaughter, show-up ready to give 100% or don't bother showing up at all!

BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 AM

He Wayne, I noticed the "FO" after Dayna's name in your signature.

Big congratulations!!!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

Congratulations, Certified Helper, that is a big deal.

I'll start a serie of Helper Seminars tomorrw. There will be 4 weekends, once every month, until october. My goal is to learn as much as I can, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna actually DO helper work, I am not strong enough.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CastlemaidHe Wayne, I noticed the "FO" after Dayna's name in your signature.

Big congratulations!!!
Thank you so much....SchH is my priority, but the SDA work is very enjoyable as well....and it is all part of our club, which is something I value about training with Chris & Tim Wild at LWDC (Liberty Working Dog Club).

We had four guys from LWDC complete USA Helper Certification at Mr. Slaughter's seminar. Tim, and three "greenhorns" Dan aka dOg who started this thread, our friend Nathan, and myself.

Several of us are going back to Mr. Slaughter's this weekend and running our hunds through the ATTS, then August 1st we're going to see how we do with CGC.....and that will wrap-up my first year of training. I cannot believe how fast the last twelve months have flown by!

Really, my first year of training in protection work has been amazing. I have been extremely fortunate to be accepted by a club that I am over the top happy with....as many of you know, getting involved with a group of like minded folks that you feel comfortable with is one of the keys to being successful and enjoying the training. Another highlight of the year was attending my very first SchH trial, which was the WUSV!! My favorite highlight of the first year has been the opportunities I have had to spend training seminar weekends with Helmut Raiser, T. Floyd, and Ivan Balabanov (how is that for a name dropping list in a fella's rookie year!!!!)....and the most unexpected highpoint of the year is the Helper Certification, I am still on cloud 9 about that. The ATTS and CGC will just be cherries on a sundae of a year.

Wayne

BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 PM

Wow! Sounds like an AMAZING year for you and your hund!

I'm pretty impressed with anyone willling to take on helper work, and throw themselves into it. It IS extremely technical, and phisically punishing work! Kudos to you all!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Just for clarification, the USA helpers are CLASSIFIED, they are not certified.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page