Evaluating pup for Schutzhund - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Evaluating pup for Schutzhund

I have been doing a lot of research about Schutzhund, and I am really beginning to take interest in it. My pup does NOT come from a line of working dogs, mainly American show, with some German influences here and there (my breeder has supplied the law enforcement departments with dogs in the past, and I was able to meet a 6 month old prospect they had...I have no idea if that means anything in regards to this). However, I feel like there's no harm in getting her evaluated. So my questions are, does anyone know how I can find local training clubs, and what are the cost estimates for getting involved in something like this? Thanks a lot.

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Elite Member

Re: Evaluating pup for Schutzhund

The cost for an evaluation isn't much - a lot of clubs will evaluate a dog for free or it may be the cost of one session.

I think John Soares is up your way - he is very good.
http://www.johnsoaresk9training.com/

And here is a list of WDA and USA clubs across the country.
http://www.gsdca-wda.org/clubs.htm
http://germanshepherddog.com/clubs/index.htm

Schutzhund is not cheap Training with a club will be less than with a private trainer but someone new to the sport might need more help. Costs vary greatly by club. At the minumum you will generally pay club dues annually and then whether it's required or not, it's polite to give the helper a "tip" when he works your dog.

Private trainer costs can vary a lot. I did some private lessons when I was living in GA, and it was $65 for 3 phases for 2 dogs. Then I got back to NJ and it was MUCH more expensive.

You will need to purchase a few things - a heavy leash and/or long line, an agitation collar or harness, and a ball on a string to get started. But if you don't want to spend the money on that before you know if your dog is suitable, the club can probably lend you a harness or collar for your evaluation.

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: phgsd

Schutzhund is not cheap
Ding ding ding! If we were strict budgeters schh would absolutely be a line item. I think cost is something people don't think about when they think schh is something they want to do.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah it's expensive! For me the worst part is gas. Our club dues are very reasonable. Also since I am new I prefer to stick with our TD right now, so I'm not doing a ton of outside traveling or enrolling in seminars just yet (at least not ones with my dog). I could be paying a really good helper that several members here recommended but for my first dog I'd prefer to stick with one club/trainer and one method. Also it cost quite a bit just for me to get all the stuff - leash, harness, prong, long line, dozens of balls since they always rip off the string, tracking articles and flags, good boots....but once you have it all then it would be easier later on if you have different dogs and plenty of people have offered to lend me various things. Some people I know have used the same stuff for ten years. It's worth it to me though because I feel that by training in three phases and also raising my dog a certain way, I'm training the total dog. All the other competitive dog sports I've tried seem to leave me wanting more, like it's a fun activity but not really challenging me or my dog.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Crowned Member

The club I belong to should raise its dues. I know times are tough, but we need the extra $ to get it where it could be-affiliating with other organizations, etc. The owner of the site we train on has put alot of $ into upgrading the field and purchasing equipment out of pocket. I hope the next time dues are due, we vote for an increase. I would also like to pay the TD and helper for gas at least. My pup hasn't really needed much yet as far as the helper work, and our attendance has been sporadic, but I feel to grow as a new club, we will benefit from more $ flowing in.
On the subject of an evaluation~If you visit clubs and pay to work your dog at said clubs, you will know within a visit or two if your dog has the temperament for it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Stephanie17sI have been doing a lot of research about Schutzhund, and I am really beginning to take interest in it. My pup does NOT come from a line of working dogs, mainly American show, with some German influences here and there (my breeder has supplied the law enforcement departments with dogs in the past, and I was able to meet a 6 month old prospect they had...I have no idea if that means anything in regards to this). However, I feel like there's no harm in getting her evaluated. So my questions are, does anyone know how I can find local training clubs, and what are the cost estimates for getting involved in something like this? Thanks a lot.
supplied law enforcement with american showlines?? i doubt it

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlThe club I belong to should raise its dues. I know times are tough, but we need the extra $ to get it where it could be-affiliating with other organizations, etc. The owner of the site we train on has put alot of $ into upgrading the field and purchasing equipment out of pocket. I hope the next time dues are due, we vote for an increase. I would also like to pay the TD and helper for gas at least. My pup hasn't really needed much yet as far as the helper work, and our attendance has been sporadic, but I feel to grow as a new club, we will benefit from more $ flowing in.
On the subject of an evaluation~If you visit clubs and pay to work your dog at said clubs, you will know within a visit or two if your dog has the temperament for it.
Also I think higher dues = more committed people. I bet there will be an increase. I think the men have some ideas cooking for a more official field, something about "building" blinds, etc...
Old 07-08-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

[quote]Originally Posted By: phgsdThe cost for an evaluation isn't much - a lot of clubs will evaluate a dog for free or it may be the cost of one session.

I think John Soares is up your way - he is very good.
http://www.johnsoaresk9training.com/

And here is a list of WDA and USA clubs across the country.
http://www.gsdca-wda.org/clubs.htm
http://germanshepherddog.com/clubs/index.htm

Schutzhund is not cheap Training with a club will be less than with a private trainer but someone new to the sport might need more help. Costs vary greatly by club. At the minumum you will generally pay club dues annually and then whether it's required or not, it's polite to give the helper a "tip" when he works your dog.

Private trainer costs can vary a lot. I did some private lessons when I was living in GA, and it was $65 for 3 phases for 2 dogs. Then I got back to NJ and it was MUCH more expensive.

You will need to purchase a few things - a heavy leash and/or long line, an agitation collar or harness, and a ball on a string to get started. But if you don't want to spend the money on that before you know if your dog is suitable, the club can probably lend you a harness or collar for your evaluation.

Thank for for the information and the links. I will be looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: lcht2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie17s
I have been doing a lot of research about Schutzhund, and I am really beginning to take interest in it. My pup does NOT come from a line of working dogs, mainly American show, with some German influences here and there (my breeder has supplied the law enforcement departments with dogs in the past, and I was able to meet a 6 month old prospect they had...I have no idea if that means anything in regards to this). However, I feel like there's no harm in getting her evaluated. So my questions are, does anyone know how I can find local training clubs, and what are the cost estimates for getting involved in something like this? Thanks a lot.
supplied law enforcement with american showlines?? i doubt it
That's what I was told. I have no way of knowing if that's true or not, so I chose to believe them.

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004

Old 07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

There ARE American showlines that have supplied dogs for Law enforcement steve....may not be common, but it has happened

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

Exception rather than the rule - I know of domestic dogs (usually BYB type, not confirmation show type) that titled in Sch as well....and a coated BYB dog who is a patrol dog in a small town - chances of him ever being sent for a live bite are about as good as me winning the powerball! But the community likes having a K9 that kids can pet!

K9's and K9 departments vary to extremes in what they want in a dog....some want a dog good for PR and very safe and non aggressive/reactive who will be more of a visual deterrant....all others care about is a dog "who will bark, chase and bite" ...while still others want a top quality, highly trained dual purpose dog....

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in