Finding tracking fields - SoCal - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Finding tracking fields - SoCal

I live in suburban Orange County and the only option I have for dirt tracking (which is most of the tracking done in SoCal) is to pay $15 to go a dog activity park... which I can't do 4-5 times a week.

I have been doing a lot of grass tracking but now the grass is short and dry because it's summer, so I'm trying to go to dirt now.

I know some of you live near rural areas and you're lucky enough to have a ton of fields available... but if you're in the city or the suburbs, how do you find places to track? Driving around Southern California seems like an impossible task.

<Insert witty sig>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Finding tracking fields - SoCal

Use google maps satellite view to scope out potential places, then do a drive by.

Not likely to be the case by you on this large a scale but one of my favorite tracking places nearby (a mere 2 mile drive) is a church. They have a large amount of property for being in the city, enough to hold a decent sized trial and we can track at that same location every day of the week but never cross tracks. I go to parks that aren't too popular as well. I am actually very spoiled for a city dweller when it comes to tracking. I have many options within 5 miles of me.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Knighted Member

And there's nothing wrong with dead grass. That's what 95% of our tracking is on because hey, it's Texas and it's effing hot with no rain. :P We get about 4 weeks of perfect tracking per year and then everything is dead because it's too cold or dead because it's hot.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Knighted Member

Industrial Parks sometimes have large grass areas that are maintained. Also, there are all those small neighborhood parks they have inserted into the middle of alot of the newer housing developments here in So CA... ...or you can do what I did and buy a disc attachment for your tractor and disc the back yard. My yard is maybe a little bigger than yours but if you're really desperate.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

Dirt, I'm not sure. Our TD suggested finding office/business/industrial "parks" for large grassy spaces. Luckily I have enough choice on our property and area schools and churches.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Knighted Member

Slightly off topic, anyone else find themselves judging the niceness of a new city you visit by the amount of tracking you see as you drive through?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: jesusicaSlightly off topic, anyone else find themselves judging the niceness of a new city you visit by the amount of tracking you see as you drive through?
Haha, no but I did tell DH if he got multiple job offers my pick would be based on SchH clubs and trials. But I suppose that was before we started heavily tracking...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: jesusicaSlightly off topic, anyone else find themselves judging the niceness of a new city you visit by the amount of tracking you see as you drive through?
YES! I love Ventura! Went there for my trial and my goodness, soooooooooooo many fields!

<Insert witty sig>
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Yeah, we usually resort to the grassy areas in the industrial fields... just few are big enough to lay tracks with corners and such I think I'll try the Google Maps suggestion.

<Insert witty sig>
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Master Member

Thanks for this topic! I will keep everything in mind myself if and when we return back to the states.
I feel so bad as when we were in the states last I was so use to tracking on dirt that the group I was with did there's mostly on grass that I did complain a little too much! then we moved back to germany and where we live now and the first club I joined (Boxer club) did tracking every week on grass! Wow did I not feel stupid but I have learned(Thanks Mr Flinks) how to lay a good track on grass.!

I do my tracking mostly on glider plane fields during the summer then in fall and spring we move to plowed fields. . (O.k but then again this is after all Germany. )

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page