Welcoming new Schutz members... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Welcoming new Schutz members...

How do your clubs evaluate / accecpt new members? What would you think if a prospect who came and observed / trained a few times started to malign your club and TD publicly?

Ollie - BH, TR - 2, CGC, HIC, HCT, TT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Elite Member

Re: Welcoming new Schutz members...

I think this is a bit of a loaded question pertaining to the other thread. Perhaps that individual learned an important lesson. I have been doing schH for three years now and so I am quite new, however I think the danger is the power of the internet and ignorance. I don't train by way of the internet message boards and chats. That is BS- I go out and try and train my dog. My guess that if it were discovered a potential club member was club bashing I would not vote that person in as a club member and collectively show them the door. Unfortunately that doesn't stop an individual from spewing more bile. I would be seethingly pissed but diplomatic. Our club has bylaws on the evaluation and acceptance proceedings. Those bylaws and proceedings work for us and don't need to be mentioned here on a message board. I am guessing other clubs have such bylaws also. A club isn't just evaluating a dog, but also the person. SchH is too small and life is too short for such nonsense like bashing.

Sarah

"Sita" Rosewoods Hot Tamale CD 2/6/00~3/26/08
"Nandi" Celhaus Rama Ring of Fire IPO 1, AKC TD, CGC 12/18/2004
Pele vom Landschaft IPO 3
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Master Member

I do not know if I count or not..

I have been to many many clubs both in the states and here in Germany.

Personally I like the german way much better. In Germany when you go to a new club you get at least 3 months Free to go and practice at said club. This 3 months 12 week time is your probation period. During this time if the club does not like you or you do not fit you maybe have to pay a small 5 euro fee to use the grounds and helper which is a very reasonable price.

As a matter of fact I have been going to my new club now since February and I have not been asked for money yet but then again I missed feb and march as i was very sick.

Yes our training director just kind of hangs back as all his people all know what we are doing. We have 2 young girls with labs that he or one other guy helps I would help them but I do not speak enough German.

at the boxer club I went to it was the same if the TD was not around or was busy helping others then the more experienced people worked their dogs first then helped the inexperienced people with their dogs last.

Yes our dogs spend alot of time in the boxes waiting, this is so by EVERY CLUB. And clubs with over 25 members and dogs you will wait even longer.
At the boxer club I go to EVERYONE got worked and the dogs getting ready for a korung (show) got worked more and first as this is a breeding club more .

(This is the reason why I drive 3 hours away this week to get real dog boxes fitted for my car so I can have all the doors open and dogs in boxes and no troubles.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Sarah - I apologze for the loaded question and you are right that it's
unfortunate that this topic came up. For context that original poster came to our club 3 or 4 times - once with a dog that person acquired 4 days earlier. It's not fair to hammer us or for other posters to pile on. We work hard.

Ollie - BH, TR - 2, CGC, HIC, HCT, TT

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Elite Member

Every club has its own style. It's up to each individual to decide if a club is the right one for them. If it's not that's fine BUT people need to be very careful of what they say on a public board! Anything you say can come back to bite you.

I don't think people realize how much time is spent waiting around at most Schh clubs. Watching other dogs work is a fantastic learning tool that I think many people don't appreciate or understand. We have had new members who got bored and kept asking the TD if they could bring their dog out next when they should be watching and learning. I think those types of people give up on Schh quick though because 90% of your day is spent waiting around, especially as a beginner in a busy club

I did read through the last thread and it's really a catch-22. Complaining about a club on forums is frowned upon BUT you can't expect everyone to know that, and how will you learn about how clubs are run if you don't say anything and don't know who to talk to privately?

Sorry, I am probably not much help, but it's not really a black and white issue.

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Master Member

I should have also added (Sorry zisso)

You want to hear a rant? Ha, try being an American trying to learn dog training in Germany, not 100% understanding what I am being told in the language then add to that switch to a different region where they speak different german slangs! It takes a really special Training director to communicate to me what he wants or the point he is trying to make. Usually good TD's have kids this is the big help in them communicating to me.

The first club I went to with hella, while they were nice enough I now realize a few years later they did not give me the proper training advice for my GSD! I did not realize this until I went to a club in Virginia the following year. Club 1 was telling my friend the complete opposit of what they had told me to do when my GSD was a pup.

At this club I would wait for someone to tell me to go on the field and work. This sometimes ment that they forgot and I did not get to work my dogs all days if they were busy getting real for trials or competitions.

I changed this attitude when we attended the club in Virginia. It was here that I would just pop on to the field and start working. Either they said Hey wait or if it was O.k they let me continue.

Club 1 also, when I did return back 2007 had done a bad training practice to my GSD by hitting her on the nose as hard as they could because she tried to bite during the beginning of learning bark and hold. Thus pushing her so far outside of the blind and furthering her problem of looking back at me.

The boxer club Club #2 was welcoming and very helpfull but their answer to me when trying to retrain some bad habbits out of my then 4 year old (Now 5 yr old) GSD "She is too old to retrain, it is better to start new on a puppy" Only because they did not know how to retrain to fix the problems she had.
Club #2 got strange after I went to train with Bernhard Flinks last year.

Club #3 another boxer club I attended last november to practice at for my VPG1 test also said the same thing.Oh was this a mess.

They said my GSD was not hectic that "I MADE HER HECTIC". And that my BOXER WAS THE HECTIC ONE! Ah ya know what I think Bernhard Flinks would have said to me if my boxer was hectic! Of course when I called Mr Flinks last week I told them what they said and he said "No my boxer is not hectic and that it sounded more like jelousy."

The Club I am at now #4, I like and I see us (Dogs and myself) advancing and getting better even if a little bit every week! But it is hard because the TD is a SV judge and a search and rescue judge so sometimes our training is cut short if he has to drive to a far location to judge it. and this club is a do a lot of work on your own with just the TD keeping an eye.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Before I respond to the question, I am going to remind everyone to keep this topic GENERAL. No arguing or pointing fingers at particular people. Even though it stems from conflict in another thread, it's a very valid topic of discussion, so we'll leave it be for now. But if it takes a downturn it will be closed.

-Admin

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: OllieGSDHow do your clubs evaluate / accecpt new members?
We have them come out to training several weeks in a row before we as a club vote on whether or not to offer them membership. This allows everyone to get to know one another so the applicant can gauge whether or not the club, or even SchH training as a whole (since most are newbies), is a fit for them, and to allow the club members to gauge whether or not the person would fit in well with the overall culture and training atmosphere of the club.

During that time we do have the person bring their dog and we work with the applicant and his/her dog. We do not expect them to just sit around and watch for several weeks. SchH training is 90% sitting around and watching others anyway, even when you have a dog to work, so there is plenty of that. We allow them to work their dog so that we can gauge the dog's suitability for the work, and also the handler's interaction with their dog, willingness and ability to take direction, etc...

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Crowned Member

Question! Got a question here!

How hard is it to join a Schuzuhund club if someone is not truly competetive in nature and is upfront and honest about that? For example, what if someone just wants to get a BH, maybe a tracking title but not sure, mostly is dedicated to improving teamwork between her and her dog, increasing focus and attention, wants overall a better working relationship built up between her and her dog? Does the person's goals need to be trialing and competetive to fit into the group, or is it likely a less driven handler might be turned away? (That's a big question of mine)

I believe I have seen some of the very best handler-dog bonds and working relationships among friends who did Schutzhund. I love the idea of having a club to correct my handling/management mistakes, guide me into building the teamwork I wish for. I am aware each club has a distinct personality, like the members themselves. Just wondered if someone who isn't truly competetive would have much chance in trying to join a club?

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 AM

Depends on the individual club. This is why shopping around for clubs and evaluating each one's "culture" to find the right fit is important.

Some clubs are highly competitive, won't accept members unless BOTH handler and dog show an ability to title with an average amount of effort, and handler is serious about titling.

Others are willing to accept handlers who more or less just want to have fun, do some training, hang out with dog folks and aren't serious about titling, and are willing to work with dogs who really aren't capable of titling in all phases.

Some clubs are novice friendly, others are not. Some are very serious in their training atmosphere, some are so laid back you wonder if they ever accomplish any training. Most are somewhere in between.

So it all depends on the club and the goals and personalities of it's membership. Most clubs will be pretty upfront about those things and if someone inquires about wanting to participate in a non-serious manner, the clubs will typically respond right away with whether they will accept that sort of member or not.

We do not charge any training fees for visitors or potential new members during their probationary period. If after several weeks visiting we invite them to join, and they choose to do so, then they pay their training dues, which are prorated from the date of official membership forward. So all the visiting/probation is free.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page