How'd you start OB with your pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How'd you start OB with your pup?

When I got Isa, it was during school so I didn't have enough time to actually train competition OB until she turned about 8 months. I kind of wished I started from day one, kind of how Brian's daughter did with Raven JR.
How do the more experienced people train there puppies? Do you wait until they are older or start from day one, not formal OB completely but enough to where by the time they hit 6 months they can heel pretty good next to you but it's still choppy. Hopefully that made sense, lol. I was thinking of doing something like this guy does. The final outcome looks nice and although focus to me isn't everything, it looks nice and so does the dog as they aren't crabbing as some methods of focus have.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM

Re: How'd you start OB with your pup?

Well, I am not experienced but I brought Jazz home from the shelter at 11 weeks and we did some training that very day.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I started with Jethro when he first came, to an extent. He was always an over-enthusiastic eater and food would put him almost immediately into over-drive. So we worked on sits, eye contact, "calm"......Just last weekend I had him at an SV style show and during a break I took him out on the clubs SCH field with a cuz and he was doing some BEAUTIFUL heeling- nice focus, nearly perfect positioning for 8, 12 to 15 steps. I held the cuz at waist level in front of me and he was looking good. I had him on the 33 foot leash but was not holding it. After several steps I would toss the cuz for him to chase down and play for a minute and then do it over again. I did about 5 or 6 sessions with no more than 15 or so steps. He nailed it EVERY time and was rewarded with short play sessions. This was really the first time I worked on any heeling with him. As he was heeling I simply repeated calmly "goooooood fusssssssss" and JUST before I threw the cuz I would give him his release word (which we are just starting to implement). I am looking forward to working on this some more away from home with different locations/distractions. He was 21 weeks old, just under 5 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not experienced, the exact opposite! At nine weeks I taught sit, platz, wait, speak, shake/pound, kennel, rollover, spin...just the basic stuff and some stupid tricks, lol. Our TD is really big on building a relationship with the dog and building drive, so for months our "obedience" consisted of maybe reinforcing the basics a few times a week with food, but playing ball ball ball! Just in the past month it's starting to come together as more of a game/routine with actual obedience. He can heel a little ways, working on the sit and down out of motion, does an awesome front recall right into my belly, a flip finish (will probably use the around the back one but taught the flip just to have more fluid movement between having him follow me with his face on my belly while I walk backwards and then going directly to the side to heel).

With Kenya I learned that with a good dog, training the behaviors is really not that hard, but training them to be fast, precise, and flashy is key so we've focused on getting that drive and enthusiasm first. Maybe not the way I would have done it on my own (I like to do specific behaviors and see results) but I trust the TD and will stick by his method. He has trained several HOT dogs from nothing to SchH3. I think there are a lot of great methods and they all work, you just have to choose one and keep at it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:43 PM

With puppies I like to start focus training early and I also like the free-heeling. This website (under training) does a good job showing how to get started...

http://www.mohnwiese.de/

I will also imprint the sit and down from a variety of positions...but I would say that the vast majority of what I do early on that pertains to obedience is drive building and playing with my dog, teaching him to "turn on". And socialization. Playing in distracting environments, teaching the dog to focus on our game regardless of what's going on around us. That's about it until around 7 months when I start to get more formal.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JKlatskyPlaying in distracting environments
Ooo yeah this was a big one for me. I took Nikon's toy everywhere. He will now play ball anytime, anywhere, and work for anyone until he literally drops dead.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:24 AM
Master Member

I'm not going to say I am inexperienced but I am not with lots of experience either.

When I brought home my GSD Hella The club I went too said wait until she is older to teach heel and focus... Wow what a mistake that was! Sit and down were a given she would learn that in the mean time.

When I bought home my boxer I started right away to teach him to heel properly and what a difference.

So from now on any pup I bring in learns real light and easy No stress no forcing everything is kept positive.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

JKlatsky, I posted that in my post, lol. That's how I was thinking of training my new puppy.

Thanks for the insight guys. I want to work on free heeling but I also want to make sure his drives come out so I'll also work on that. I'm just trying to get an idea on how I'm gonna do this from day one as I couldn't with both my dogs due to school.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I teach focus in front and in heel position, correct sit/down/stand, fronts, restrained recalls, focus, focus, maybe start some scoot sits. I don't start heeling until they are big enough to where I do not have to distort my body position to teach it. I usually use food.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Knighted Member

Missy

Here are a few Cute pictures of them doing focus with string cheese.
They did this along with the free-heeling style in the beginning.

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page