Bad Day at the Club-Rant - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Bad Day at the Club-Rant

I have to say I am dissappointed in what is going on in our club right now. The lady who runs it cannot walk due to health issues so sits on the sidelines, gives instructions, and then fails to watch to make sure we are doing everything correctly because she is chatting it up with those that sit with her and she criticizes everyone for everything they do, behind their backs first. It is a small club but has doubled in size since I joined. There are advanced teams on the field that need to prepare for Trials at the end of October.

After tracking this morning, she focused on the advanced people running thru the routines for SchH1 trials. There ended up being no OB for the beginners like myself today at all. From the point where they worked on the routine for trials, next thing I saw was the blinds being out up. That meant, to me, that there would also be no work on the sleeve either, or at the best it would be no less than 1-2 hours later- by this point my dogs were already getting very restless as they finished their tracks around 10ish and it was getting close to 1pm. They had been out to go potty, but right back to their crates to await their chance to do OB. I gave up at that point...frustrated that this woman has no other people that can at least help the beginners with stuff like OB and stuff....something..but this nonsense of sitting around with my dogs crated for 3 hours and no hope yet to do something active...I figured at least they can get SOME excercise at home so that's what we did...we went home and the dogs got the rest of the day off for being patient enough to lay in their crates waiting....This lady that runs this club also has NO Compassion for the fact that this new female of mine has sever seperation anxiety- her theory is to throw them in the crate and ignore them, they will shut up eventually...I CAN'T do that to my dogs ever!!!!

So how does a normal SchH club run? Because at this point, I am ready to throw in the towel !!!!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Bad Day at the Club-Rant

Well, our club is very new as well, and even in just one year we have gone through some huge changes in membership and shifting of who runs what, who is the TD, who is in charge, etc.

I don't think it's too unusual for dogs who are preparing to trial to basically get priority. However, to me that means maybe an extra turn, or more time on the field or with the helper, but not totally shutting out everyone else. Basically, our club goes like this: people sort of trickle in an those of us that are serious about tracking or need instruction go out and track. By the time we are done, everyone is there. Then we do obedience. Lately it's basically been 2-3 dogs out at a time, generally an adolescent dog working with the ball learning to Fuss, etc with an older or titled dog working in a corner or holding a long down. Sometimes there is a third dog, generally just an extra dog learning the long down. We just sort of put people together depending on who needs to do what and who the TD wants to work with. Then we do the bitework. Right now, the really little puppies kind of do ob and bitework together, so we start with the youngest and move up (writing the names on a board so the next person knows when go to get their dog ready). The babies just do some very basic ob with the TD and then get a few bites of rag work. We just move down the list going in order of age. Generally the older the dog and/or the higher the title, the longer they last. Since we do all three phases in one evening and often do ring training as well (lots of running in the heat), our dogs generally only get one shot at bitework and are then pooped.

We train Friday nights, like 6pm-midnight. It's an hour and 45 minute drive for me with the dogs crated. All told they are probably out *maybe* an hour total combining all three phases + ring training. Yeah it is a lot of crating but even 10 minutes working obedience with ball drive and then 3 minutes doing bitework is hard work for the dogs. The crate issue might be something to work on, I'm not sure. At home, in the car, and at dog shows Nikon and Kenya settle in the crate, but at SchH Nikon sometimes is sounding off for a while, but that's just the nature of the sport. He sees a dog run past with a sleeve in his mouth, or someone revving up their dog with the ball three feet from his crate. I don't worry about that too much. I don't encourage him lighting up, but at the same time he gets a lot of mixed messages, seeing equipment and dogs going in and out already in drive so I am not bothered by some barking as long as it doesn't effect his training or make him too tired to work.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

Also, another thing I tend to do is just ask someone off to the side if I have a specific question or need a suggestion. I don't like butting in or drawing attention to myself so I kinda understand how you might feel being left out on the sidelines. On Friday we had a special guest at our club so things went a bit different, and for two weeks I'd been looking forward to getting some help with getting Nikon's "aus" with toys so our obedience can move forward, but it didn't happen. So at the end I just asked the TD if he could spare 5 minutes and show me. He did, and Nikon basically caught on in those 5 minutes. I had him at a big dog show today and was using his ball to start learning dock diving and he did the "aus" every time I asked. So I'm glad I just stood up and asked someone to help for a few minutes. I don't mind someone with experience working my dog for a minute, showing me *exactly* what to do, and people don't mind showing me but they don't know I want more help if I don't ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks Liesje
First of all, can I ask what TD stands for?

My dogs are okay in the crate most of the time, except that the female, Naudia is still dealing with SA so can get loud at times. When she gets wound up it distracts my make who is the main one I want to work. Because of the SA I can't leave her at home.

I know the advanced people need to focus on getting everything down so they can attempt to partake at trials, but I sooo wish the lady in charge would have someone who was capable of helping the beginners. Personally, as a beginner, I don't see us being ready for any kind of trial in 5 years!! That is how oddly this club is run. There is no list to go by. My male often is the last called(99% of the time)...it is as if the woman forgets about us!

At this point I think I am better off skipping the club altogether and training my dogs on my own so they get something, rather than to pack up to go sit at a field in their crates for hours on end, only to find out they are not going to have any chance to learn that day. I can't ask for help when all the advanced people are wrapped up in trial practice either. I guess I am just frustrated and don't like feeling like chopped liver out there!!

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Knighted Member

I think 3 hours in a crate is perfectly reasonable and I don't understand how anyone who does schh could think otherwise. Have you ever attended a trial? It could easily be, and most likely is, longer than 3 hours between the time you finish your track and the time you do OB or protection.

Today Flash was crated from 11am-8:30pm and his training consisted of being worked in protection just once around 1pm. He peed/pooped before being crated, before going onto the field, and a couple hours later before we hit the road which in and of itself is a 4.5 hour drive that I make without stopping. He is asleep on the couch right now.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

First of all, the field we are using is city property and a resident across the road has complianed so we are supposed to keep our dogs as quiet as possible. Second of all, we didn't get to do Any OB today, so had I known that the tracking was all we were going to do, I could have gone home and worked my dogs on OB there. I have not had the opportunity to attend a trial- this is all new to me-hence the term "beginner"

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Crowned Member

I was just at a UKC event and most dogs were crated all weekend except for potty breaks and their trialing times. They have to get use to it. At least the weather somewhat cooperated, not too hot.
TD stands for Training Director(what your lady is?)
I am in the same club as Lies, and others will help with the newbies, too. My pup is crated for 95% of the time when we go, as he is one of the younger ones.
The limitations on field, space may be more of the problem for your club. Is there another club around you can observe?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, sorry TD = Training Director. Not sure about other clubs but at ours that's basically the helper (though there are other guys that can be helpers and step in at the TD's direction).

The one thing that took me a while to get used to with SchH is that *everyone* needs to pitch in as far as keeping things moving and helping out. I had trained Kenya in probably a dozen various classes at another club (sort of an all-breed, all-sport club) and there it was always six dogs and the trainer telling is what to do and directing when to take turns. But at SchH we are starting to develop more of a routine as far as knowing what to do when so we can be working multiple dogs at the same time without any interference. So in that sense I totally get your frustration. Kenya has been so easy to train and title (though different than SchH) and with an adult that is more advanced it's easier for me to think of a skill and work through it on my own. With Nikon being a crazy puppy and no foundation beyond what *I* was doing (got Kenya as an adult with basic ob already done), I did feel lost and frustrated for several months. In the past three weeks or so, it has really come together. I mean, we didn't do ANY heeling of ANY form until about a week ago, I'd gotten the hang of using the ball enough to start taking a few steps at a time, and yesterday he passed all the heeling parts of the CGC (AKC type heeling pattern, heeling through a crowd, and heeling toward and past another dog). Two weeks ago I was laughing about the test being a waste of the instructor's time, and last week I realized he might actually do it! So for me, the SchH styles of training have really been more "lightbulb" type moments than the gradual, step by step process I was used to with Kenya. I hope that makes sense...
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

This lady will not let any one else step in to help any one yet she is incapable to get out on the field with us so if we mess up out there, we don't know till we get in and then she 'scolds' us (for lack of a better way to put it) followed by directions in how to do it better next time.

Like I said, it was just a frustrating day. It worked out in the long run because as I packed up I saw I had a low tire..found a nail in it and had to go get it repaied or could have been stranded

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The field we are using for now is HUGE...the advanced people lay their tracks waaaaay out there. It is at least 2x the size of a football field. Yes, this lady I talk of is our TD. I got stressed so my dogs got stressed ...enough said

I am going to find out about some other clubs to go observe and hopefully I can find a way to calm down next week

Thank for all the input!!

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page