Economy - Affecting training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Economy - Affecting training?

All,

I am just wondering how many of your training plans have been curtailed by our wonderful economic climate? I for one have been hit pretty hard - I'm a mortgage broker which means I pretty much took a 70% cut in income over the year or so. Bite work has came to almost a screeching halt due to gas and helper expenses. How is everyone else getting along?

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Economy - Affecting training?

It's tight. We train wed/sat nights. We changed it to where you pay a little extra on Wed, and it covers your costs for protection on Saturdays. Kinda like pay to work 1.5 dogs instead of 2.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Master Member

I'm managing to stick through...luckily...especially since I work in the automotive industry.

I'm keeping up with training...even though gas is expensive and our trip is 45 min 1-way every week.

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

Yes. I am still going to club once a week but I had originally planned to meet with the trainer we have now and do more work privately, I don't think I can afford that since my car died and now I have a car payment on top of everything else. Also, I'm cutting in half my show/trial entries. So Nikon did a WDA show which meant no Premier entry, and is going another WDA show in a few weeks which means probably no USA show at a friend club in July, and definitely no to the Bernard Flinks seminar. Luckily I'm not paying for club training (already paid dues in Jan) but it's the gas that's the kicker, not the dues.

I have not been taking agility lessons with Kenya because I've been putting all the money into Nikon's training and showing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Economy is hitting hard here too. In 2008, I was training 4 nights a week spread between two clubs. Currently, I am training consistently 1 night a week. I have chosen to go to an inactive status with local club to save on training fees there. The club has waived training fees for the current quarter for all members so I have picked extra sessions. I am maintaining active status with a club further from home and travel 1 hr and 15 min each way so gas is costing more. I currently split the travel with a friend and we pack creatively to get all 4 dogs in to go training.

Nora

Cain von Hena-C, VPG A, TT 10/19/2003 - 12/17/2009
Gone but not forgotten.

Dazzle von Linienbach, 02/07/2009
Learning the ropes.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 PM

I have had to drop a few seminars that I had scheduled to go to, but that is due to the Florida trip that I really want to take in January 2010. I am having small team seminars here, and then travel to train with my team.

The out of state stuff will have to be chosen carefully as not only am I training SAR, I am now training Schutzhund as well. I have an AWESOME coach that is willing to travel for a couch to sleep on, good food and his gas money.

The decoy I will pay well since he is good and will be worth the weight in gold to me to train and catch my dogs well and safely.

Dogs of mine:
Max-Bloodhound
Jesea- Belgian Malnois
Rock- Dutch Shepherd
Ajay- WL GSD
Esta- WL GSD

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

Gabor travels to train on the weekends, but he stays with friends. We return the favor when they come out here to train.

He does a lot of the helper work and owns his own equipment. So, no fees/club dues.

We budget for the year - we know what training needs to be done and what needs to be done for what dogs. This summer is off, with only a dental for Qasi (Vox son) and Hella (Olek daughter)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

Yes. The gas for the 4 hour round trip to the training grounds became too much to go every week so we cut back to 2 times a month. Then I got laid off.

Right now I'm looking at a couple clubs that are closer to us. I would like to continue Schutzhund with Mauser but it just might not happen.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

The only area we've been hit is the fact that we can't drive to a club we want to join that is many hours from us because of gas. I might end having to join back up with my orginal club since they are only 30 minutes away. Or, I might have to just not join a schH club and find another venue which the alternative for Isa has been herding, just as expensive but the place is only 15 minutes away. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
I'm sad there are no closer clubs as we enjoyed SchH and it's sad that my new puppy might not be raised in that venue but at least we still have AKC.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page