Schutzhund: Theory and Training Methods ?? Comment - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718
Schutzhund: Theory and Training Methods ?? Comment

I just ordered this book from Amazon. I've done a fair amount of training and teaching people how to train for basic Obedience. Have trained one dog in PPD, and done Pet Therapy programs with several of my dogs... but this will be the first baby Schutzhund prospect I've raised so need to do some prep work on fundamental methods, imprinting and such...

What do others think of this book ??

(It hasn't arrived as yet)

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Schutzhund: Theory and Training Methods ?? Comment

I have that book and I thought it was pretty good.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Master Member

I quite like it as well. If you don't already have it, I would look into ordering a copy of Advanced SchH (Balabanov & Duet) too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Crowned Member

The Balabanov book is very good - and has alot of fundamentals for all three phases in it as well....it is far superior to the Barwig book...

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:00 AM

If you are going to do Schutzhund with your pup, I would also recommend Leerburg's "Raising a Working Puppy" dvd. You can easily find it on the Leerburg site, there are TONS of training articles to be found there as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Knighted Member

I actually keep the Theory and Training Methods book in my tracking box. When I am tracking by myself, while I wait for the track to age, I go through the book. Each time I do, something becomes more clear, OR, I find something I missed the first thousand times I read through it.

~Dee
It's all fun and games until the freakin' flyin' monkeys attack

V Gipsi Vom Sawtooth SchH3 IPO3 KKL1 HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Elite Member

I like the Theory and Training Methods book. I haven't read the Advanced book. I also liked the Top Working Dogs: A Training Manual book by Dietmar Schellenberg.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Angela

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:26 PM

That book is quite dated and in my opinion is very incomplete. I own about every book written on schutzhund and would recommend that one close to the bottom of list. It is a lot more on the "theory" side - which isn't bad - but it isn't a blue print for how to train you or your dog. I don't even recommend the Ivan book for newer handlers - it is problem solving for the most part. I recommmend the Gary Patterson book beyond all others. Next would be the Tom Rose book written with Anetta Cheek (not his older book) and the Dildie/Booth book. Those are MORE than enough to get started and gain a full understanding of what you should be doing. Later (a year or more down the road) the Ivan book is helpful.

I will say this, you will not learn what you need from a video or book, although both will help. You need supervision by a trainer or club with members who've titled dogs to have someone to coach you. There is way too many timing issues that are critical and that cannot and are not shown in either. You must understand AND be able to produce/reproduce this timing to be successful. You might get the understand part from the books and videos, but you need to be trained as well. That takes someone coaching and advising and even sometimes "correcting" your performance.

hope this helps.

-Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page