Is my dog turning me into a pez? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Is my dog turning me into a pez?

Training question, doing my beginning ob with Warden. I spit hotdogs to reinforce behavior. Here is my question:

I use a "look" command to get him to....look in a basic heel position. Well I get the impression that he is turning his head away just so I can say look again and he can get rewarded. He knows what the command means. How do I get a look everytime that stays there? (even after i spit the hotdog) I understand he is young and his attention span isnt there yet, but is he just outsmarting me? Is it ok to give a minor pop on the leash to get his attention back without resaying the command to let him know that look means look until i release him?

edit: dog is 10months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Is my dog turning me into a pez?

Start by making him hold the "look" command longer and longer between command/reward. I would also start using some different rewards too (verbal praise, different treats and a toy reward) so he is not expecting a hot dog every time he looks at you. I would also start mixing up where the reward comes from: mouth, right hand, left hand etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

yeah i have been doing the wait longer, he waits till he gets the hotdog then turns away. Ha. Yup i think it is time to introduce the balls in to the training now. I do question the rewarding from hands, I always reward from up high and have been taught this way from the beginning. I either drop a ball from my pit, or reach my right arm over top my head and relase it. Otherwise I have seen dogs focusing on the trainers hand or pockets when they should be looking them in the eye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Master Member

LOL. That is so funny. I agree with Amaruq with this and will prob do it w my dog too

Heidi-GSD- RIP
Dutchess-GSD RIP
Sadie-Lab-Silly girl
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

An intermittent reward schedule and varying the amount of time he has to look before getting the reward is the place to start. A light pop on the collar and/or light verbal correction when he does look away, followed by praise when he looks back, will help clarify it for him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dreamofwrx I do question the rewarding from hands, I always reward from up high and have been taught this way from the beginning. I either drop a ball from my pit, or reach my right arm over top my head and relase it. Otherwise I have seen dogs focusing on the trainers hand or pockets when they should be looking them in the eye.
Problem with this is that the dog may still be looking for the treat/ball and not looking at *you*. It may look like he's looking at you because you are rewarding from up high, but he may very well be doing the same thing as those other dogs who are looking at hands/pockets. It's just not as obvious because of where you are holding the reward.

Using lures near the focal point (so up by the face in this case) to bring about the correct behavior so it can be rewarded, and thus the dog has a chance to learn what the correct behavior is, is always the first step. But once that is learned, the dog needs to realize that he's being rewarded for looking at that specific focal point, be it face or hip or armpit or whatever you want it to be, not just at the reward that happens to be in the general vacinity.

IMO, better to teach the dog to look at the *handler* regardless of where the reward comes from. Reward can be in a hand, in a pocket, on the ground 50' away.. it doesn't matter if the dog has learned that looking at the handler earns the reward, not looking at the reward itself or the place from which the dog thinks the reward will magically appear.

When you can wave a toy all over the place in front of the dog and then toss it a dozen yards away and the dog maintains eye contact throughout.. that is a dog who truly understands focus and will perform proper focus regardless of where the reward is, or even if there is a reward anywhere nearby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Examples of 3 different dogs to illustrate my point. Notice the location of their reward toy compared to where they are looking.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: yeah i have been doing the wait longer, he waits till he gets the hotdog then turns away.
Because for him that's the end of the sequence. He's done the "action" and gotten the reward, so he thinks he's done.

I train watch me with a clicker and the treats stay in my hand. I click when the dog makes eye contact and then he gets the treat. Over time I increase the amount of time the dog must maintain eye contact before he/she gets the click and treat. When I'm consistantly getting the behavior, at that point I add the "watch me" command and the release. This is the best method I've found for us and results in dogs that keep eye contact for as long as it's requested because the dog is looking at me and not the treat/toy and they've never learned to release themselves if I've given the command.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Chris. Ivan teaches it that the dog focuses on your face no matter where the reward. When the dog looks away, give a quick correction and then reward. Joschy would do this, I'd say, aack, quick jerk, maintain focus a little longer, each time he would look away, another correction until it was held however long I wanted him to do it. Then reward

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: pupresq

I train watch me with a clicker and the treats stay in my hand. I click when the dog makes eye contact and then he gets the treat. Over time I increase the amount of time the dog must maintain eye contact before he/she gets the click and treat. When I'm consistantly getting the behavior, at that point I add the "watch me" command and the release. This is the best method I've found for us and results in dogs that keep eye contact for as long as it's requested because the dog is looking at me and not the treat/toy and they've never learned to release themselves if I've given the command.
This is exactly the sort of method I use to teach it, though I use verbal markers rather than a clicker.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

As usual Chris explained what I was thinking better than I could say it.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page