Shutzhund and PPD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Shutzhund and PPD

A dog that has been trained for PPD, can do SchH after?
There is something in the style of the first that will compete or be against the protection required for Schutzhund?

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Schutzhund and PPD

PPD dogs typically can be more nervy, def. more civil. Some are out of fear, some not. If you train for PPD, it can be very hard to do schutzhund as you can have issues with the dog NOT focusing on equipment and too much on the person. Isn't a bad thing, but can make it hard when you dog comes off the sleeve early and goes for the decoys face or other parts (Isa, god bless her, lol).

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: Shutzhund and PPD

I've known several dogs cross trained SchH and PPD, but whether it works or not really depends on the temperament of the dog and type of PPD training. All the ones I've known to successfully do both started in SchH training, and then branched out later on into PPD work. Done that way, with the right training and the right dog, the SchH work lays a good foundation for PPD and the additional PPD training done later doesn't interfere with the SchH work.

But I've never known a dog trained PPD first, then switched to SchH. Could work, depending on the dog and training, but might not. Biggest issue I could see is as Angela mentioned, the lack of equipment focus. The ideal dog for this sort of situation would be one who is sleeve sure, and thus will bite the sleeve and ONLY the sleeve when a sleeve is present. No sleeve, anything goes and dog can bite anywhere. But if the sleeve is there, the dog must target that and only that or else not only is it going to get booted from a trial but some helper is likely to get seriously injured. This is one reason why even though we do a lot of bitesuit work with our dogs we make sure they are sleeve sure before moving to the suit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

I'm interested in doing more UKC Dog Sport/SDA stuff but only after SchH b/c I think SchH is more stylized and precise (examples already given) so if I'm going to do both anyway, I'd rather do SchH first and then branch out for fun, especially as someone new to both.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

We have a dog in our club that just earned her SchH2 that was trained in PPD first. It did cause some issues with the guarding both on the field and in the blind. The work they did taught the dog to return to the handler after the out. The female is still looky after the outs, but has very nice guarding in the blind now. That said, most dogs I know that are cross trained do SchH first.

On another note, I don't want a dog that is sleeve focused or looking at the sleeve during the guarding or after the outs in SchH. I want them looking at the man and in the fight with the man and not to win their toy. Spitting out the sleeve early and possibly biting the helper is a training issue, IMO.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Crowned Member

I too want them focusing on the helper and not the equipment, but some dogs trained ppd take it to extreme and don't do well doing ppd first then sch training, imo.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angela_WI too want them focusing on the helper and not the equipment,
Same here. A dog can focus on the man, but still remain sleeve sure when it comes to biting. That is ideal, IMO. I also prefer a dog who will bite for real, sans sleeve, but only if there is no sleeve present. For titles, not to mention safety of everyone, it's important that the dog will bite the sleeve and only the sleeve if there is a sleeve (and understands anywhere else is ok ONLY when there is NO sleeve). This is dog who can successfully do both without problems, and this is easiest to accomplish if the initial foundation is done using a sleeve. A dog who's foundation training has been that anywhere on the helper is fair game for a bite can certainly be problematic for a whole host of reasons.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

I am training two young dogs for SDA style protection work without any Schutzhund training. All of our foundation work is being done on the sleeve.

My older dogs are being cross trained but are still getting a lot of sleeve work for training. I may be a nervous Nellie but I want 100 percent rock solid control before suit or muzzle work.

I doubt if I will be teaching leg bites for reasons stated above. Kind of taking that one as we progress.

I think some dogs being trained in Personal Protection may be a little sharper then dogs being trained for schutzhund but I don't see a fearful dog standing up well to the civil agitation that is normally involved. I think if a dog is "nervy" in protection work they are going to be nervy regardless training venue.

Very general statements of course!

Betty

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Elite Member

Re: Schutzhund and PPD

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angela_WPPD dogs typically can be more nervy, def. more civil. Some are out of fear, some not. If you train for PPD, it can be very hard to do schutzhund as you can have issues with the dog NOT focusing on equipment and too much on the person. Isn't a bad thing, but can make it hard when you dog comes off the sleeve early and goes for the decoys face or other parts (Isa, god bless her, lol).
defenitly more civil but all dogs whether PPD or any other sport all start on a sleeve. from all the dogs i have seen and worked so far, even police k9's, if you present the sleeve the dog will bite it. even some of the most civil dogs i have seen will still bite the equipment if it is presented..

for more civil dogs i would not put all my trust into a sleeve, i would be wearing a suit. so if the PPD is very civil and i wanted to do a sport, i wouldnt be doing SchH.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page