Is there such a thing as too close? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Is there such a thing as too close?

Nikon was having trouble with his sits, always being too far away and rocking back, making it even farther. Also he was kinda laid back about it in general. This week we've been working on both the sit position in front, and using the ball to increase the drive in obedience in general. For the hier/sit I've been using food and ball - with food I hold it in my crotch or on my belly so he has to tap me with his nose to get it, and with the ball I have it under my chin so he comes slamming in and almost lays his chin on my belly. Now, he has improved SO much that when I say "hier!" he slams me with his nose/chin and sometimes his sit is with his front paws on my feet. It's funny, if I jog backward he stays right on me like his chin is stuck to my belly. I like that the speed, drive, and focus is there when it wasn't before. Is this OK for now or is there such a thing as being TOO close?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: Is there such a thing as too close?

Hard bumping or plowing into the handler is always faulty. Light touching of the handler with the nose or chin is ok under most judges, provided it's light enough to not constitute a bump. But I've known some to take points for any sort of touching the handler even if it's very light and not at all a bump.

So ideally to cover all bases for most points regardless of who's judging, get as close as possible without touching. If you have to choose between very light touch or too far away, I'd personally go for very light touch, but I'm sure there are others would choose the opposite.

I don't think I've ever encountered a judge who took points for paws on the handler's feet, but there may be one out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Is there such a thing as too close?

He hasn't come close to knocking me over (yet!) so I suppose I should keep it how it is at least for now, maybe clean it up later? I was thinking like you said, maybe it's better he's a little too close/too enthusiastic than far away and slow, but if it will make more problems for later....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page