Basic time frame - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Basic time frame

I am curious what most people find to be the basic time frame once they join and begin working in Schutzhund before you feel ready to go for SchH 1, or even for CGC? I know that I have a long way to go because I have only just begun. I do work twice daily with Z on training -I don't over do it, but I really can see him getting the hang of it. My club has trials scheduled for October - is it too soon to hope?

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Re: Basic time frame

What I have found is that it really depends on the dog. It seems to me in general things move pretty slowly for a couple of months, even if you do have a good dog that's hard wired to work. It seems to take a little while for them to figure out the game. Older dogs seem to progress faster than little puppies too because they have more maturity and frequently you can add more pressure to the work because they are mentally able to handler the stress.

I started my dogs early on, at 5 and 3 months and they were ready to give good performances at their BHs at 17 and 15 months. I did their CGCs a few weeks prior to their BHs. Some will disagree, but I feel that teaching and enforcing polite CGC manners are not helpful to beginning competition obedience.

Now we just did a BH on our friends older dog after having him for 2 months. However, he had a basic understanding of the major commands (sit, platz, foos, hier) and just need reinforcement, repetition, and to learn some easier stuff like the finish and sitting at the stops. Because he was mentally mature and had that basic understanding, we were able to push him to go with less rewards and more pressure. Not the sort of thing you can do with just any dog.

There's a reason the minimum age for the BH is 15 months. I think it takes awhile to train it, and you really don't want to rush it because it's the foundation for the rest of your Schutzhund obedience.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you JKlatsky for your reply

My boy is already 19 months old and we started about 3 weeks ago. When I first adopted at 16mo him he was crate trained and house broken, but that was it. No leash walking, no sit....none of the basics. I have taught him a great deal in the little time I have had him, and joined the club primarily because I thought the discipline there would be a great benefit to him. He has come a long way in a short amount of time. He sits, downs, stays, has fairly good recall(not that I ever let him off leash-except in the yard). He is currently learning foos and heel. Still can't him to platz from a stand but I think he is confused about what I am asking of him. That one we just started working on during this past week.

I am fairly pleased with the results at this point and we have plenty of time to perfect it all

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Crowned Member

Zisso,

To give you an idea with my male. 1st dog that I really trained myself in SCH.

I worked full time (45-50 hours), plus commuting. Club, once I started really training him, was 2x per week: scheduled protection during the week and scheduled Ob/protection on weekend. Tracking conditions were almost non-existent in the Bay Area, unless you travelled for a while, tracked at businesses or construction sites (which we did). Dirt tracking with CLODS of dirt that were huge! When he trialed, he nailed tracking!

I stayed at the same club; did not jump around. That is a big thing - the consistency of the training and ensuring the support. Focus was to train to a higher level than you were going for, so that way the foundation was correct and you did not have to go back and re-train things

Did not really start anything with him until he was about 1. Did socialization, AKC handling, TT, CGC, fun stuff for the 1st year.

Started seriously training him. He was ready for his SCH 1 within the year, but I started traveling for work. He had a 8 month hiatus while I was traveling, then back into it in the spring and did Sch1 in the spring (May) after a few weeks of training, broke his canine in August and then trialed in Dec for his SCH2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Wow Sue! That is impressive to me! So with an 8 month hiatus, you seriously trained for about 4 months?

I hope we can be that good and quick, but I have had no experience with AKC handling, TT, CGC...nothing...this is all new to me as well as my boy so I will be happy with anything we accomplish If we can be ready in 5 months I will jump for joy and if not, no biggie cause all I have is time Oh but we only train 1x / week too so maybe not ready in time. That's ok...we are having fun learning

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Crowned Member

Zisso, I am also training my first SchH dog and taking it slow. I work full time and do jobs from home on the side. I have three dogs, one that is an adult and trains and titles in many things sometimes pretty heavily (last spring we competed every weekend for about 1.5 months straight). Also, because of how my dogs live and what I expect from them I do require puppy class and CGC for manners (I do not let the healing and ob stuff interfere with the methods I'm using in other areas, but I DO require that my dogs be polite for petting, polite around other dogs, not freak out when I leave them tethered, etc). If that interferes with some SchH work or takes time away, then so be it, but bottom line is ALL of my dogs are house pets and travel with me and must be socialized and reliable with other people and dogs and that comes before anything competing they do on the weekends.

Nikon is 8 months and while he might be "behind" a lot of working dogs, he gets better every week at training. We go to SchH club once a week, Friday nights generally 7pm-midnight. We would like to work protection and have ob instruction twice a week and are trying to work that out with our trainer but it's difficult with money and we come 1.5 hours from the west, he comes 1.5 hours from the east.

I'm not too concerned with where Nikon is at compared to the other dogs. Even though I am a noob, I can tell when I haven't done the homework and I can tell when I've worked hard and it's made a difference.

Currently we track once a day. We *just* started tracking because we never had anyone to show us SchH tracking and then waited till after the Sieger Show b/c we wanted the dogs' heads UP. We're doing three scent pads at at time, or two and a short track.

I do nothing as far as protection at home, I leave all of that to the helper. We did some tug, backtying, and prey drive stuff with him as a puppy but he's past that now, on the sleeve so there's really nothing we can do at home that would help him, only cause him problems.

We do obedience but right now a lot of it is ball stuff. We first developed his ball drive and now that it's there, we are working on showing him how this "game" works. So our ob session will look like 15 minutes of ball play with maybe 2 minutes total of actual ob, lol. We use the ball for drive and speed (fast platz, sitz, eye contact) and we use food for precision (short heeling, sit in front and basic position, finish).

Right now we have no time frame. Each week I pick 2 things to really focus on at home that week (this week is getting Nikon to come into my belly b/c he wants to rock-back sit away from me, and working on building an aus behavior with our ball game).

Nikon's taking the CGC in mid-June (almost 10 months) and he did the puppy STAR in Dec. when he was 3 months.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

No, he was trained for 1 year straight. I was pretty focused and stayed with one club. Had 2 lessons in tracking and then worked on it by myself. Then would check back and have someone audit with what I was doing. Then would get a group of people (that was hard, people do not like tracking) to track as a group.

Then 2 month off, 1.5 months training and then 6 months off before back in and into the SCH1.

But, again, I did the traveling, Ronald McDonald House stuff, AKC handling, AKC OB, TT and CGC before we really started into the SCH work. Tracking did not start until after a year old. I really watched the 1st year, laid tracks for people and asked questions.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Knighted Member

With my first dog, I started her in SchH at 17 months old. I was a fanatic about going to club training, and worked on my own every day. At the end of 10 months, my dog and I did the BH. Three months later we did the AD, and two months after that she earned her SchH1. It does depend on the dog, your commitment, the support you get from your club, and most importantly, the training helper you have.

~Dee
It's all fun and games until the freakin' flyin' monkeys attack

V Gipsi Vom Sawtooth SchH3 IPO3 KKL1 HOT

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

It has been a slow road for me especially being new. He got a CGC and AKC tracking title when he was 10 months old. Started in SchH 2006 at 15 months , BH 2007, no trialing in 2008, going for schH1 in a month. Being a new handler/trainer has slowed our progress the most. Nandi also slow to mature, he takes protection work more seriously now at the age of 4.
Let the fun begin.

Sarah

"Sita" Rosewoods Hot Tamale CD 2/6/00~3/26/08
"Nandi" Celhaus Rama Ring of Fire IPO 1, AKC TD, CGC 12/18/2004
Pele vom Landschaft IPO 3
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Knighted Member

If you work hard I don't think October is unrealistic for a BH. Your dog is at the perfect age to start REAL training. And it's just a BH. It's pass/fail. Flash got his BH 6 weeks after we really started training for it, the trial was short notice. All we had at that point was fussing, not even the halt and sit. Was it perfect? No. But it's just a BH. Do I expect more for our 1? Absolutely. 5 months later our BH routine would be MUCH better but we passed and opened the doors to bigger things, that's all that matters.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page