You who train more than one dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: You who train more than one dog

Also wanted to add, since I do work full time, we have those nasty MI winters, and other things that can put restrictions on time for training I did get dogs titled much faster when I was working only one, or working dogs of different ages and levels. Though another thing that I do like about working 2 is that since we breed having a second dog to train while one of my girls is taking a break in order to have puppies sure does keep me from going stir crazy. Not sure what I'd do during those months when one of my girls is on training hiatus if I didn't have the other one to work.... I'd probably go nuts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

I have 3 dogs, only formally training 2 of them, but the third gets just as much individual time playing with me as the other 2 do, she just doesnt get to go as many places with me. Itd be a lot easier if I had a bigger vehicle. The biggest downfall is me feeling bad for leaving Layla at home. Although, she is much happier at home, I still hate it.

Bixler is my heart dog, while I am bonded with him the most, (he is my first dog) I don't compare any of them that way. Hexe is easily the best overall dog, easiest to train, funnest to play with, most environmentally sound and most willing to do anything I ask. But that would NEVER make me stop training Bixler, or Layla for that matter, even though her training is basically sitting or downing for me to through the ball for her . I enjoy them all for what they are and never find myself wishing they were different or more like the other one. Infact, I love how different they all are!

I agree that switching from one dog to the next in a matter of minutes is a bit challenging and sometimes takes longer to get into the rhythm with each dog, but it always works out. It really makes you understand each dog better I think. I have a German Showline, American showline, and a Working line dog, so really have a wide variety of personalities and always have to adapt to whatever dog I have.

Each day every dog gets atleast a half hour of training and play time by themselves, then all 3 go for a walk, and usually I take one dog out somewhere to do something, and just rotate days of which dog gets to go out. I still have time at the end of the day to do stuff around the house and just hang out. My boyfriend would tell you that I dont cook because of the dogs, but I dont think Id cook much more if I didnt have any dogs I sometimes even have time for them each to get another play/training session if I dont take them out somewhere. Unfortunately I do work full time too, but even with that we make it work just great.

Bixler and Hexe are basically at the same level of training even though Bixler is almost 4 and Hexe is 10 months, lol. Hexe is a super quick learner. She will probably pass him up, but Im in no rush and dont have any real goals for Bixler, a BH and maybe some tracking titles would be nice but Im not counting on it.

Bixler is the only one who I think gets "jealous" for lack of a better term. I sometimes give him a bit more attention because hes just so needy, where the girls are always happy with what time they have with me alone. All 3 are house dogs and get along inside which is such a relief, Id hate to have to rotate house time, but if it came to that I know Id make it work.

I guess with one dog, it would give me so much more time to spend with that dog, but I love having all 3, and we make it work, everyone is happy at the end of the day.

Mainly the biggest issue for me is my car, it is a 2 door Honda, and it really limits the option of taking everyone with me. It even makes it hard with 2. Luckily when I go to training I am able to use crates for them at the club. If I had a bigger vehicle Id take them all everywhere with me. Hopefully in the near future Ill get a bigger car and miss Layla can come along for the ride when we go places. There is a park very close to home so I do take all 3 of them there sometimes, but if it's any further Layla has to sit out. But she gets to stay home and get spoiled by dad so atleast she isnt alone when I leave her.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the answers, very, very informative.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris Wild Though another thing that I do like about working 2 is that since we breed having a second dog to train while one of my girls is taking a break in order to have puppies sure does keep me from going stir crazy. Not sure what I'd do during those months when one of my girls is on training hiatus if I didn't have the other one to work.... I'd probably go nuts!
Ask my club members how well I did having no dog to work while Vala was laid up with puppies. Going to training, helping everyone, watching them train and having no dog was AWFUL. I told them I would NEVER again have no dog to work.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

I have to agree, I've been without a dog to work since the group asked me to reform the club last fall. Finally have a puppy to take out, but for 6 months it's been very boring and frustrating to go out and not have anything to work!!!

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh, yes! When I retird my first SAR dog I were several months without dog before starting the second and I was about to stole someone's dog just to play.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page