Good day for newbie to Schutzhund - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Good day for newbie to Schutzhund

This was only our second weekend in Schutzhund and it was a great one!

One of the things that we do is to have our dogs step up on a bench. All of the other dogs struggled with this in major ways. My boy stepped right up like a pro altho I have never done anything of the sort with him.

He normally does not bark(which is a good thing); it is rare to hear his deep bark but he did it when the helper didn't keep the tug in motion

His first track was great, but the return track, he lost it and never got back on it

While in his crate he was covered with a light weight blanket that allows the breeze to flow thru and was quiet, other than to whine if he 'had to go'

Now me, on the other hand....I too learned a lesson. Here in WA the weather is always unpredictable, right? Well, the forcast was for sun, and shine it did!! BUT I did not think to bring sunblock I am a redhead so didn't fair well sitting in the sun all day.

Still, I woke this morning feeling rather proud to have accomplished such little things yesterday- and then read this from our trainer :
<span style="color: #CC0000">Your dog came through for you and that is why I keep saying "never say never". </span>

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Re: Good day for newbie to Schutzhund

YEAH!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! Gotta love it when you gog tells you...."see I told you I could do it!!!"

Onyx Vom Ramhausen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zelenka Vom Ramhausen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Arild Andrej Vom Onyxhaus

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I am soooo excited and amped up about this! It strikes me kinda funny because even a month ago I had not considered joining and now I am hooked! Of course it was very helpful that Zisso took to it so well. I <span style="color: #CC0000"> Loved</span> hearing his deep solid excited bark and the excitement in his eyes!

I don't really even know how to pronounce Schutzhund correctly... but it is fun

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

Thats awesome! Its always a great feeling when things just click

Quote:
Quote: His first track was great, but the return track, he lost it and never got back on it
Quick question though.... what do you mean by the "return track"??? Was that a second track you laid separate from the initial one that he did great on?

~~~~Julia~~~

Aidan v Haus Roemer (aka Drake)- BH, CGC, TT
Cremlin van Gogh - BH, OB1

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

Awesome! That is one area where Nikon excels, lol, the barking!! Doesn't take more than a few pats on the ribs to get him going.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Liesje- that is interesting!

Zisso only barks when something strange is going on. An excellent example is there is currently a fire truck with their ladder extended to a neighboring building out back. Z barked his fool head off. Yet at training yesterday, he barked One time at the helper.

DrakeGSD-yes..I laid the first track, then laid a 2nd seperate track coming back, which effectively got me off the field without disturbing other vegetation that could be use for some one else's track, and give my dog a chance to gain some experience.

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
QuoterakeGSD-yes..I laid the first track, then laid a 2nd seperate track coming back, which effectively got me off the field without disturbing other vegetation that could be use for some one else's track, and give my dog a chance to gain some experience.
Gotcha! For a moment there I was worried that you meant that you tracked the same track back to starting point, which is a problem! Whew LOL

Barking should come with time. My male didnt bark for quite a while so we had to work on that...He doesnt shut up now though lol

~~~~Julia~~~

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: Barking should come with time. My male didnt bark for quite a while so we had to work on that...He doesnt shut up now though lol
LMAO.. watch what you ask for... I have a couple of those Julia.. they never shut up!!!

~Lynn~
Dante v. Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz, BH (HOT)
Laos v. Hnxer Wald
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

hmmm...is there a way to keep him like he is now (quiet at home) and still know when to let it out when training? LOL...yes, I want the best of both worlds...

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Zissohmmm...is there a way to keep him like he is now (quiet at home) and still know when to let it out when training? LOL...yes, I want the best of both worlds...
Hehe depends on the dog! Drake barks on the field (although it took a looooong time to get him to do it) but he is very quiet at home. And he never barks for toys or food...
My female is a big mouth... she barks for food, toys, protection, obedience. She doesnt make a sound in the house though...
So you definitely can have the best of both worlds LOL

~~~~Julia~~~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page