Serious dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Serious dogs

I have sometimes heard of dogs that are "serious", even so serious that a stranger cannot pet them. There is a post about Fero on pdb and him being a dog that nobody would pet... now what does that actually mean? (sorry stupid question) Are these dogs so aloof that they do not tolerate someone petting them?? Wouldn't that be a temperament issue rather than a "good thing"? I understand GSDs being aloof, I have one of those myself, but she tolerates petting, there is nothing that says "don't you dare touch me".
thanks..

Päivi
Mom of
Cody 3 yrs, CGC, CDX, BH, TDI, TT, TD -HOT
VP Myth Vom Triton (Brandie) 2 yrs, CGC, BH, TT -HOT
Iida -American Shorthair Cat 5 yrs,
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Serious dogs

sorry have never heard of "serious" dogs. where did you hear about that? is it a term specific to schutzhund or ring sport training?

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Crowned Member

I've heard the term thrown about a lot. I wouldn't automatically think it was a dog I couldn't touch, just a dog that could go more civil.

TAMMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Tammy, that was my initial thought also, to me a dog that nobody can touch is not good?!?

Päivi
Mom of
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

Our Narys is a dog you do not aprouch while he is on a leash or in our truck, but being off leash he is a cat. Sometimes its the training that has been done as it was with Narys
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Crowned Member

That's an interesting question!

I always say Ilsa is a serious dog. She does not suffer fools. Make a mistake with her and she will give you a message-a look, whatever, to let you know that she is not to be trifled with.

She will turn her back on people who are looking to pet her. Not in a fear way, but in a not interested, thanks anyway way. I control greetings and watch her.

She has little interest in anyone other than me, really. Unless food is involved-then she will comply and ignore-wham bam, thank you for the cookie, ma'am. With me she can be silly and will wiggle up to me with her tail wagging if she is in the mood. But we don't have any extended greetings-a quick hug and she's gone.

But I have no idea if I am describing a serious dog, or just my dog. I am just so tired I can't shut up, even online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Okay got it. So it can be the training that was done to make a civil dog even more civil while on leash, in a truck, in the house etc etc?

Päivi
Mom of
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

"Serious" may mean a dog who can go civil more easily when he is himself threatened. It may also just mean someone is bragging about their own dog, making him out to seem "tough." It may also mean a dog who is serious, very little sense of humor. The word may be used for dogs who are sharp and have nerve issues. It may also mean a dog like Grimm's sire, a very bold, secure, but extremely über-dominant dog that defends his territory against all comers. His son, Grimm, is the opposite-- completely socially open, envisions all guests to be his adoring audience, if you have a pulse, you're his friend, etc.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

I've always thought "serious" was more along the lines hard and/or civil, or the type of dog that when you watch him work you just know he's serious, not one that treats it more like a game (not to pick on anyone but a lot of show lines I see instead of doing a real intimidating silent guard or bark and hold, they look half interested in the helper, tongue lolling out, looking around at the crowd or their handler..not giving me the impression that they are really "serious" about the work).

I've always thought "spooky" was a dog that might bite you if you approached the wrong way or at the wrong time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong b/c I would like to know too.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I think this is one of those terms that can mean different things to different people. To me, it pretty much means the same thing as what Lies is saying in the context of Schutzhund/work.

A dog that takes the task seriously. Sees the helper as a real threat, and is willing to engage for real, as opposed to dogs that see the protection phase as a fun game. A serious dog is also very likely to be a civil dog.

I haven't seen the discussion on PDB, but if a dog can be approached and petted by others or not may also have a lot to do with how they were raised and socialized, i.e.: a house dog, or a kennel dog.

Just me thinking out loud, not claiming any expert insight into the whole thing.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page