Gappay vs Frabo ball for Drive Work - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Gappay vs Frabo ball for Drive Work

So, due to handler stupidity, I left my Orbee ball out and Janka-boo chewed the rope off.

I am using this excuse to buy another training ball that I have had my eye on for a while. The Orbee works fine, but it is a little too big for Janka's mouth so she keeps grabbing the rope. And the rope is too thick and long, so it gets a little cumbersome for me anyway when we do drive/focus work.

So yeah ... I am now tottering between the medium Gappay ball and the medium Frabo ball

http://www.hallmarkk9.com/Balls_on_Rope.aspx

Have any of you use either balls? I *think* Lynn uses the Gappay. It is hollow, while the Frabo is solid.

I will probably end up getting the Gappay. Just want to hear some input. I have been using the orange chuck-it ball for reward during our training sessions, and it works just fine for basic commands and such. But I like using a corded ball for drive work.

Thanks,
Rei

Janka vom Grunenfeld, BH (d.o.b. 10/12/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Gappay vs Frabo ball for Drive Work

you can just run a new rope into your Orbee!!! My dogs like the Orbee balls - I don't like the harder nubby ones - if you're klutzy, you can conk yourself (or your dog) with it and that hurts! Also, these don't give, and I know of an accident where one lodged in a dogs throat and he died....bit the rope off - I will stick with the Orbees myself

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

I have a gappay small one on back-order This will be for my pup for a short time only. I ordered one of each size and the one I need now is not in stock! The orbee is too large for his lil mouth.
I had to run a new line on my blue Kong. The dogs had that one off in about 5 minutes.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Elite Member

I like elite K9 ball. http://www.elitek9.com

Sarah

"Sita" Rosewoods Hot Tamale CD 2/6/00~3/26/08
"Nandi" Celhaus Rama Ring of Fire IPO 1, AKC TD, CGC 12/18/2004
Pele vom Landschaft IPO 3
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

I use the Gappay ones, I have two in two different sizes. I also have a Bende one that is really the same as the Gappay but came with the plastic toggle. I liked it a lot, until I threw it into a tree about 30' up and it wrapped around a branch. So I ordered Gappay ones. My trainer said I needed smaller ones anyway to encourage Nikon to bite the ball not the string. Well now I think I need a bigger one b/c he actually inhaled the small one a few days ago. We were playing fetch and I heard him gag, looked over, and the ball popped out.

Hey Jane, I will temporarily trade you my smallest one for one of your bigger ones, lol. Do you still need to borrow my puppy crate?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Wolfstraumyou can just run a new rope into your Orbee!!!

hehehehe ... I admit, I have been waiting for an excuse to get something different. My husband said I was being lame for not re-roping the Orbee.

The medium Orbee is a little too wide (3" diameter) for her, so I thought something just a little smaller would be easier because when I reward her with the Orbee, she would always try to grab the rope. The medium Gappay is about the size of her orange chuck-it ball, and that fits nicely in her mouth.

I could get the small Orbee I suppose. Hehehehe ...

But thanks for the good point about being conked though.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds good! I have a crate and will be at the club tomorrow if you want to trade balls! can't wait to work my lil Karlo!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

Can I take pics of him? He will be stress relief for me, Kenya and I have a 2-day trial this weekend and will need to "cram" on Friday (it's impossible to practice long down honoring and heeling through a group when you're the only person training!).
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

Absolutely!! I will be at the St. Johns trial too, but Karlo will stay home(I don't want to expose him there)my son is pupsitting
Lil balls/big dogs=choking hazard...

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the input. I think I will get the medium Gappay and a small Orbee for Janka-beau. The size I want from elitek9 is on backorder. / I am too much of a brat to wait.

My husband surprised Janka with a tug from Elite K9 though, after she pulled my tug from Leerbug out of my training bag (another handler stupid moment for not storing the bag away) and gnawed both handles off. I called him bitchin' about it 'cos I really liked that tug.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page