Oh, no! Another addict! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD
Oh, no! Another addict!

Well, we made it to our second Schutzhund class today. It went really well considering we are both newbies, this whole thing is new to me! But after 2 classes I already know it, I have an addiction! Here is a video of our protection work (nobody wants to see our obedience now, the handler needs some lessons!)

Berlin's Second Class
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Master Member

Re: Oh, no! Another addict!

Just a few suggestions, I would really watch the grip on your pup, they are shallow. I did see the helper fix the grip once but that was all. The dog also had a shallow grip during the carry. A harness might be a good idea because the dog is pulling so hard, it will help with the barking and won't cut off his air supply. Good luck and have fun.

Denise

SG Hannalisese vom Dreieck Sch1 KKL1 CD TR2 (HOT)

Malachai vom Geistwasser BH (HOT)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with Denise. Is this helper experienced? I would be worried about the helper giving him the sleeve when the dog didn't even have a full bite. Foundation is VERY important, trust me, I've learned the hard way.
I would use a harness like Denise said for starters.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Crowned Member

I am new too and my dog has had the same problem with grips. He also would give up the rag/toy/sleeve as soon as there was no pressure (like when he won it to carry, he would drop it). I only had certain people do bitework with him and immediately I could see improvement b/c these people know exactly what they are doing. Now and I rarely even tug with him at home to make sure he's only doing it correctly (often I can't really tell, so lately we've been using Gappay balls for reward b/c he has the whole ball in his mouth when he gets a few tugs, I don't have to worry about a poor grip on a tug toy and I leave the agitation work to the club).

We also really like using a harness even though a lot of people we train with use a collar. I got this harness and we like it a lot, plus it's cheap compared to other leather harnesses: http://www.bridgeportequipment.com/P...x?productId=96

He looks like he enjoys it!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

What has the dog been worked on before? Going straight to the sleeve is not a good idea - you want to solidify the grip 1st.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Smithie86What has the dog been worked on before? Going straight to the sleeve is not a good idea - you want to solidify the grip 1st.
I agree with Sue on the sleeve for your second session the dog looks good with nice drive. But using a big sleeve is just plain dumb when making a grip foundation. This puts you in a difficult situation being a n00b to suggest working on something other than a sleeve for foundation hopefully the helper will realize this and take a couple of steps back

Scheiber's Tarkeus Bad Joke Rott Schutzhund III RIP.
Echo Vom Camdenerland GSD Schutzhund II RIP.
Jett Vom Triton GSD Next Big Thing Schutzhund III

I'm not easily impressed
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Elite Member

second session and on a sleeve?? seems like a bit of a rush. i would work the dog on a rag or pillow for starters and build his bite. shallow bites can be bad on the teeth plus you will lose points in a trial.

on a different note your pup looks good aside from the bite. keep us updated, we need some more posts in the working dog section of this forum.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page