Look out for me on the backhalf at '10 nationals - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Look out for me on the backhalf at '10 nationals

I officially put on a sleeve for the first time last night. What an interesting perspective!

Would love to really get into helper work but as I'm sure you have noticed in pictures/video I am just not strong enough, nor will I ever be. I'm a wimpy little thing.

But I'd recommend everyone doing it at least once.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:58 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Re: Look out for me on the backhalf at '10 nationals

I've had the chance to do that too! And I'm not a little thing, but my back would never stand up to catching and swinging those dogs!

Isn't it fun? Sorta makes you feel invincible and all powerful at some level. And it really, really made me appreciate the skill and effort the helpers bring into their craft.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Crowned Member

I've put on a sleeve a few times, I was taught a nice skill to use al my upper body and not the arm to support the weight of the dogs and then I started really enoying it. But what I've done more times is the bite suite and that is real fun! Even when it does not protect you as much as a sleeve and you end up all bruised.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

The clubs I worked at had us suit up. I have done all except for the long bite....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Crowned Member

Man, all of you are very brave people. Haha. I think my 5'1" frame wouldn't be able to handle a dog running, jumping at, and latching on to it!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 AM
mnm
Elite Member

I participated in a helper seminar a couple of years ago. We had to do all the different parts of the SchH protection routine. If I would have been a bit smoother, I would have certified at Basic level, but they put me at entry level. Not sure why, looking at the definition. I completed the seminar and evaluation, and have a helper book..., but now I have a bum knee and probably couldn't take the physical stress. I will put on a sleeve and give a dog a bite, no problem there... and I enjoy it. I also figure that it gives me a different perspective for my training.

Marsha
Ball Zulu z Martinické Staré skoly CD, RN, CGC
Mystic vd Traumwolfen
Neon vd Traumwolfen

Retired - Ebene BH CD RN THDA CGC
RIP - Chita IPO3 CD RN THDA CGC KKL1, Elsa HOT SchH1 CD & Viggo TR1 CD
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I do helperwork, both sleeve and suit, pretty much every week. I love it! Lots of fun and definitely gives you a different perspective and way to develop different skills and understanding. Though I can't say I'm fond of the giant bruises that appear a couple days later after suit work.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Crowned Member

I've done it too and I loved it! But like you, I'm just a little thing and not strong enough.

Carolina Johnson

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:00 AM

I'll let a girl work my dog for fun/playing load the blinds or to get to learn the perspective on the helper side of things or puppy stuff. But sorry gals unless your freak of nature ya ain't working my dog.

Scheiber's Tarkeus Bad Joke Rott Schutzhund III RIP.
Echo Vom Camdenerland GSD Schutzhund II RIP.
Jett Vom Triton GSD Next Big Thing Schutzhund III

I'm not easily impressed
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JokerI'll let a girl work my dog for fun/playing load the blinds or to get to learn the perspective on the helper side of things or puppy stuff. But sorry gals unless your freak of nature ya ain't working my dog.
That's okay, Joker, most "girls" are busy with school, and homework, and such.

But there are a lot of ladies and experienced women trainers out there who would do just fine, I am sure.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page