Should I consider Schutzhund? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Should I consider Schutzhund?

I am for sure going to be working with my new girl but I have male that is going to be a year old next week and he has no spectacular pedigree and I plan on having him neutered soon. My question is... he has a VERY high drive and I want to find something to challenge him. Would this be a wise idea or should I just stick with more in depth obedience work? I spoke with my girls breeder and he said I could but he said most don’t worry about titling them if they are not planned on being breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: Should I consider Schutzhund?

There are many people who participate in SchH as a fun hobby for handler and dog to do together, and who do it with dogs who they have no intention of breeding. So just because you don't plan to breed him is no reason you can't do SchH if you find it's something both of you will enjoy. Best way to determine that is to check into local SchH clubs, go watch training and ask questions, have your boy evaluated and give it a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Knighted Member

That is absolutely ridiculous. I have zero desire to EVER breed a single dog I ever own, male or female, and I love doing schutzhund. If more people took this approach rather than believing every titled dog should be bred, the breed would be much better off.

Additionally, you will not begin any real training with your new puppy for quite some time so your male is a perfect dog to learn with. The things you learn with him will prove to be invaluable with your "real" dog.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD

People do schutzhund with mixed breed dogs that they get from the pound. There is no reason why you shouldn't do it if you enjoy it. My friend got BHs on her Border Collies and one is ready for a Sch1, another woman I know who had titled GSDs was going to try training her Standard Poodle too.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Crowned Member

Yep if you want to try, try! Neutered doesn't matter, pedigree doesn't matter. You won't know until you try. I know of two people with pound mutts who have SchH titles, and I saw Lauri brought her Chinese Crested to a SchH seminar.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM

yup, I am even working my american bulldog with bad joints through all of schutzhund 1 except the jumps. I just want to learn new things and give her something to do, I know she will never go past her bh.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Elite Member

Yes, I think you should consider SchH. My opinion is that you should certainly explore SchH to understand what it means to participate.

The single most important thing I have gained through my pursuit of SchH is an appreciation for what a GSD really is.....I am amazed at what I didn't know a year ago, and I am awed at what I still have to learn. I enjoy every step.

There are two bigs questions....does your dog have enough drive and do you have the passion to train?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM

Keep in mind the breeder might likely be a showline type. They (in general) seem to view a titling a dog as a necessary evil and something that they "must" do and very, very often farm the process out for thousands in ca$h. To such a person, going through the effort to title a non-breeding dog might not make sense.

FWIW, I don't believe in neutering male dogs. I feel it hurts their work (other disagree with this but I strongly believe it) and research shows that for the minimal health benefits cited by vets, there are tons more health issues caused by the practice, especially depending on age. I personally feel that if you can't manage an intact dog you shouldn't own one - it is that simple. I've got an intact male & female at home and have for years. Never had an issue. Most other SchH people do as well. It is part of the PC infusion by radical liberals that has led to an almost zombie like mass belief that you can't be a good pet owner if you don't neuter/spay your animal. While maybe given the abysmally low sense of responsibility possessed by the average Joe these days, sterilization might actually be a good idea, by the sheer fact that you’ve come here seeking information and recognize the need for your high drive dog to have an outlet, you show yourself to be someone of sufficient ability to ensure your dog doesn’t breed accidently. So why not leave him intact to ensure that he develops into a healthy animal?

-Calvin
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I have decided to for sure take him out to a training session and see how it goes, if he has what it takes. I have no other hobbies, want to get them envolved in something.

Now just to find a good club in my area, seems to be a bit difficult. I had heard good things about DFW Working Dogs but now not so much.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris Wildhave your boy evaluated and give it a try.
I'm in a similar situation to the OP, and I have a question about getting into schutzhund that goes along with this topic, so I thought I'd add on instead of start a new one to keep the discussion going.

I have a young male (Duke, 14 weeks) without an impressive pedigree, but I would love to find something we can do together. I eventually want to get a GSD *with* an impressive background to really get into schutzhund with. Duke is *technically* my husband's dog (by that I mean we got him with my husbands preferances--a big boy, darkest of the litter, not quite as high ball drive as my Bella) and since my husband wanted one that wasn't quite as OCD about playing ball as Bella I'm not sure he'd be a great dog to do much schutzhund with. HOWEVER, when you get him alone (so he can play with the toys without Bella stealing them!) he looks like he does have SOME drive at the least--when I throw the ball he first looks at me like "is that for me to get?" and then pounces after it.

So, to go along more with the OP and get some more information for both of us--what age should the testing be done at? When do most people get their dogs started? If a dog doesn't do well on the evaluation, might they still enjoy the beginning of the training but just not be competitive (due to not having a deep bite or whatever reason)?

-Mindy

Mom to:
Bella (11/24/05)
Duke (1/12/09)
Ahi--Beta Fish
Auntie to:
Daisy--Duke's litter-mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page