Agility and Schutzhund? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Agility and Schutzhund?

Hexe is my first dog to train in all 3 phases of Schutzhund... and I dont know much at all about agility. I have signed Hexe and Bixler up for a foundation agility class. Was just wondering if anyone does both, and if there is any reason the 2 types of training would conflict at all with eachother?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Agility and Schutzhund?

As long as there isn't a helper with a sleeve at the end of the tunnel you should be fine!! Sorry I couldn't help it...

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Knighted Member

LMAO Jane, I can invision it!

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

When I got Raya she had some foundation SchH puppy work, rag and maybe carrying the puppy sleeve. When we started doing to Agility, they put a tan piece of carpet under the teeter-totter so it wouldn't scare the young dogs when it banged. Well Raya would go really quick on the teeter and when she hit the floor she would spin around and grab the peice of carpet and prance around the room. Trainer couldn't figure out why she was doing that, I told her because of she previous rag or puppy sleeve, which ment nothing because no one knew what SchH is.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

That is so cute, Onyx won't even do the teeter. My training club won't let dogs in that are "protection trained" so it is a good thing that yours doesn't have a clue about SchH. There could be a new sport, combining both, it would be fun to watch!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

at a club here (50 or so miles from Kristy) we did AKC obedience and some basic agility stuff - it was pre-rally and alot of the exercises ended up in the rally tests as one of the trainers was one of the first rally judges....

I think agility is a great help for schutzhund obedience...A frames, jumps, etc - the dogs learn and have fun while they learn...

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Master Member

My best friend does both with her mali in the U.K

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

At least two of the dogs in our club do both. Dogs love it.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Knighted Member

I did agility with Gipsi to help with our bond. It was great to get her to really watch me and listen for direction. The best part we got out of it was her increasing her launching ability. She never really understood the launch for the hurdle, now she does. It was fun too. We went into this with a plan of just having fun, not even considering it as another activity, just fun. I learned to communicate better to my dogs. It didn't hinder any of her SchH training at all. I think it helped. There wasn't any pressure, just pure run, jump, leap, crawl fun.

~Dee
It's all fun and games until the freakin' flyin' monkeys attack

V Gipsi Vom Sawtooth SchH3 IPO3 KKL1 HOT

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

thanks all! Good to hear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page