What is the minium reaction for: - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

What is the minium reaction for:

Okay, as I get ready with final training for the Sch1.
In everyone's opinion what is the minium reaction for the gun sensitivity test that the judge will be watching for. Like is the dog allowed to look back or look in certain direction??

I noticed when my dog hears the gun last year she is starting to get pumped like reaction to protection work, eyes dilate, and she is breathing heavy. I noticed that afterwards when I whip out tug in OB after gun. She about drags me down to the ground. Should I work the gun in more to get her more used to it.
Just worried she will do something she shouldn't.
I noticed some judges do it soon after not so many paces, or is this in Sch3?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: What is the minium reaction for:

Well, the ideal reaction is none at all. But if the dog flinches, looks away for a moment and then looks back to the handler, gets a bit excited, and other minor reactions, depending on the judge and level you're trialing for, the judge may or may not care. At worst, it will be be a minor point deduction. Or there may not be a point deduction, but it will be commented on in the critique. Really it depends on the judge, how the dog reacts, and how that individual judge interprets the cause of the dog's reaction. If the judge sees the dog react and questions the reaction, he can also ask for additional gunshots to see how the dog reacts to those.

It would take the dog completely freaking out for it to be dismissed due to gunshot sensitivity though. Anything short of that is a minor point deduction. Of course, a dog with gun issues may also break his long down during the gunshots, and if that happens it brings with it a much larger point deduction, and the potential for a serious mess if he doesn't come back under control quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

If the dog breaks the long down due to gunshots he will probably fail. I would work on it without making a big "to do" about it. They are allowed to notice, but if the dog shows a strong reaction the judge has the right to ask for a third shot to determine sensitivity.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

okay that's what I thought.
I know if she breaks long down she is failed. Dog can't move more than 3 meters.
I just know she may look back opposite of my leg. But, I don't know if she is confusing this with bitework.
Now I am wondering. About the long down.lol

Like can I put her in the long down and have someone do shots in the distance then feed her if she goes to get up.?? I am just trying to think of any exercise to give her positive reinforcements in. Or if anyone has done this for a dog that has broken the long down in gun test.?
she has never really been in the long down while shots went off. Ummm.
I know, I am worry wart. Just don't want to be embarrassed or anything. Just noticed her getting hyped at gun shots more lately.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

If she breaks the long down she will lose either all of the points or partial points depending on when she breaks except if she breaks because of the gunfire. Then she will fail.

I would not reward her if she starts to break. I would reward her for staying in the down. Stay near her so you can reward quickly for the correct behavior. As I said, don't make a big to-do about this or you may create a problem where one doesn't exist.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Yeh I think I will be just fine. But, as she gets older I see her getting more excited with the gun fire. Maybe she is just being normal in that.
She has great long down. Never moves. But, with gun fire I don't know, never tried it.
thanks so much.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I am in process of finding good club, I need desperate help with retrieve.
I have been playing around with it. But, haven't seen any true steady results yet.
Any suggestions on how to make this positive thing for dog is greatly appreciated.
Everyone I know thinks the force is the best way to go
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 PM

Here is an article on clicker training with the retrieve.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/c..._retrieve.html
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Elite Member

I just got Ivan Balabanovs video The Retrieve very good too.
I have played during gun shots as well to decrease sensitivity. I have also stayed close during long down and rewarded, then gradually worked up to the full distance. Good luck.

Sarah

"Sita" Rosewoods Hot Tamale CD 2/6/00~3/26/08
"Nandi" Celhaus Rama Ring of Fire IPO 1, AKC TD, CGC 12/18/2004
Pele vom Landschaft IPO 3
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:01 AM
Master Member

Maybe different in the states but I was told for over here...
if your dog shows the reaction of standing then you just get points off maybe 5...
But breaking/moving from the actual spot then disqualified.

As for the bring I have my own trouble with my GSD and the bring that I am working on so I cannot comment.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page