Going Saturday to watch a local SchH trial. . . - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Going Saturday to watch a local SchH trial. . .

. . .with an eye towards getting Cash into it. What should I look for? What questions should I ask? Should I even expect to have a conversation or will everybody be focused on the trial?

Will they look down on me for my floppy-eared rescue dog?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Going Saturday to watch a local SchH trial. . .

Well....honestly you will see the finished product at the trial, whether good or bad. It's nice to see a trial and I would hope that you would see some nice performances and then you would know what the final goal is. However, what you would learn a lot more from is actually watching dogs being trained for the sport from their foundation to the finished product and what it takes to get there. If you go on to do the sport you will also learn a lot about dogs and dog temperament as well as your strengths and weaknesses as a handler.

As far as asking a lot of questions....depends on who you are standing next to. For the most part I think most people will be focused on the trial and honestly I would not want someone there picking my brain but certainly there may be some casual spectators there.

Probably not a good idea to be out socializing with your dog at a trial. Go have him evaluated by an experienced helper. Best way to find out if he is cut out for the sport.

Have fun and forget about the floppy ears!!!!!

Mom to:

Quiki vom Dreieck
aka Maya, TDI ~TC ~ CGC ~ TD ~ UDT

Fenja von Wolfstraum
aka Heidi, TDI ~ CGC ~ CD ~ BH

Gass Moravia Artex
aka Chico, BH ~ AD ~ SchH3

RIP- Roxy, Boone & King
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

I would definitely go watch, it can't hurt! I wouldn't bring the dog though (not sure if you were planning to). Find out about some clubs and see if they will let you come watch their training or evaluate your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

Call the club contact ahead of time. Talk to them about what you want to see. See if you can come out for the training before. Ask if there will be someone you can talk to either during the trial and/or afterwards.

Find out about the helper and how the club works. A lot you can learn by watching.

What club are you going to?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I've received additional advice via a few pm's.

No, I wasn't planning to bring Cash. He's a Bulldozer on Speed anyway, I can't imagine what he'd be like at one of those!

I'd been invited via e-mail by the club president to come watch. I had e-mailed him (her?) expressing an interest in the club.

The club is DFW working dogs.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page